• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ferret custody.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lalasonny

I live in Ohio.

My ex girlfriend purchased a ferret about 2 years ago. She owns the paperwork. The ferret stayed with me for the duration of that time. We have been broken up for a year and she wants to sue me over him.

She doesn't work and lives in a bed bug ridden house with a drunk father.

What can I do to keep my ferret?

quincy

I live in Ohio.

My ex girlfriend purchased a ferret about 2 years ago. She owns the paperwork. The ferret stayed with me for the duration of that time. We have been broken up for a year and she wants to sue me over him.

She doesn't work and lives in a bed bug ridden house with a drunk father.

What can I do to keep my ferret?
Ask your ex-girlfriend if she will let you keep the ferret in exchange for X amount of dollars?

Work out some sort of ferret visitation schedule with your ex-girlfriend?

Let your ex-girlfriend sue you and see what the court says? There are some states now that consider not only the "paperwork" showing ownership but also the "best interests of the pet" when deciding who gets to keep a shared animal.

lalasonny

My ex girlfriend chose to leave my life, and as such wishes to not come over at all, even for the ferret. I have offered her money. She is clearly doing this out of spite and I truly believe the little guy is better off in a shelter than at her house. If it comes down to it, I'll take him to one. I've had many animals over the course of my life, each one happy and well taken care of. I will not let this animal be mistreated by a psychotic ex who can't put away her feelings for our own relationship to think about the animal.

quincy

My ex girlfriend chose to leave my life, and as such wishes to not come over at all, even for the ferret. I have offered her money. She is clearly doing this out of spite and I truly believe the little guy is better off in a shelter than at her house. If it comes down to it, I'll take him to one. I've had many animals over the course of my life, each one happy and well taken care of. I will not let this animal be mistreated by a psychotic ex who can't put away her feelings for our own relationship to think about the animal.
It would probably not be a real good idea to be too hasty in giving away a pet that could be judged to belong to your ex-girlfriend. That could wind up being a costly move on your part.

Proserpina

I can't believe you guys are falling for this.

I mean..it's not like the same story reappears every year..... (except it does)

JennK2009

Ask your ex-girlfriend if she will let you keep the ferret in exchange for X amount of dollars?

Work out some sort of ferret visitation schedule with your ex-girlfriend?

Let your ex-girlfriend sue you and see what the court says? There are some states now that consider not only the "paperwork" showing ownership but also the "best interests of the pet" when deciding who gets to keep a shared animal.
"Best interest of the pet" in some states?! That's great. I thought some stray cat just adopted me, but it turns out he likes my boyfriend better. I pay the vet, buy the food and litter, and put his anti bug oil on him. Still likes my SO better.

quincy

"Best interest of the pet" in some states?! That's great. I thought some stray cat just adopted me, but it turns out he likes my boyfriend better. I pay the vet, buy the food and litter, and put his anti bug oil on him. Still likes my SO better.
The following is a link to an excellent comprehensive article first published in 2009 by Tabby T. McLain, The Animal Legal and Historical Center, Michigan State University College of Law. The article addresses the way pets have been viewed in our country in the past, how they are viewed today, and how this changing view of them from property to "family" has led to changes in how some judges are addressing "companion animals" issues in court (mostly in divorce actions, mostly involving pet dogs):

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/dduspetcustodyindivorce.htm

Just Blue

I can't believe you guys are falling for this.

I mean..it's not like the same story reappears every year..... (except it does)
But it COULD be true...People are odd about pets...even fish. Someday I will tell about my cousin and her fish fight with her ex. :rolleyes::eek:

JennK2009

The following is a link to an excellent comprehensive article first published in 2009 by Tabby T. McLain, The Animal Legal and Historical Center, Michigan State University College of Law. The article addresses the way pets have been viewed in our country in the past, how they are viewed today, and how this changing view of them from property to "family" has led to changes in how some judges are addressing "companion animals" issues in court (mostly in divorce actions, mostly involving pet dogs):

Very nice. Thanks for the reading material for tomorrow, and I just may follow up with an opinion.

JennK2009

Thanks for that article, quincy. I think it is long overdue to address the best interest of the pet and this is a good start. They are our companions. It's in the best interest of the humans, too.

Now, I'm kind of glad that my SO doesn't use the computer. If push came to shove, I'd probably be the one paying petimony. Thanks again, this made my day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">