• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing an "answer" for more than one respondent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scoumbes

West Virginia

My family and I was served with a summons for a petition/complaint through our county circuit court. It includes, me, my husband, my sister, and my uncle. Do we need to file our answer separately or can we file together? If we can't all file together can my husband and I at least file together since we are in the same household?

Thank you in advance for any responses!!

Silverplum

West Virginia

My family and I was served with a summons for a petition/complaint through our county circuit court. It includes, me, my husband, my sister, and my uncle. Do we need to file our answer separately or can we file together? If we can't all file together can my husband and I at least file together since we are in the same household?

Not that I saw, in a quick review: http://www.courtswv.gov/legal-community/court-rules/civil-procedure/III.htm

But you should read it carefully.

latigo

West Virginia

No, the right of the individual to represent themselves in a lawsuit without appointed counsel is personal and thus limited to the individual litigant.

An attorney could appear and respond on behalf of all the named co-defendants. That is, provided there were no conflicting interests among them.

However, those co-defendants not formally represented by counsel must appear separately. And do so timely to avoid the entry of their default.

scoumbes

No, the right of the individual to represent themselves in a lawsuit without appointed counsel is personal and thus limited to the individual litigant.

An attorney could appear and respond on behalf of all the named co-defendants. That is, provided there were no conflicting interests among them.

However, those co-defendants not formally represented by counsel must appear separately. And do so timely to avoid the entry of their default.
thank you for the explanation!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">