• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing a civil suit myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katie33kate

Yeah...

First, please do not publicly call the landlord a psychopath. You said she has slandered you. You do not want to be guilty of slandering her, so it is best not to toss words like psychopath around.

Second, make sure you do not violate any of the terms of the restraining order. This is vital.

It is possible to have a restraining order modified or dissolved but the court is unlikely to look at any changes to the order so soon after its issuance. The court wants to give the order time to work, to see if it resolves the problems between you and the landlord. And it might. As I said earlier, the landlord is essentially as restrained as you are.

That said, I am sorry that the judge did not find your evidence compelling enough to find in your favor. I agree with Proserpina, though. The person who files for a restraining order will often get the order issued. A court does not want one of the parties in the dispute harmed. If the court believes a restraining order can prevent harm and preserve the peace, a restraining order will be issued.

You can see if you can find help through one of the resources provided earlier. Good luck.
The judge didn't care what my evidence was. I am sorry I called her that.

There will be no time for the order to "work". I have already received an eviction notice. The notice was on my parents door before I even got back from court. (Think it was prepared in advance?) The hearing in housing court is in 2 weeks.

Let me explain. It was not the landlord who filing to get the Restraining order, it was the neighbor....although she provided guidance and help to this neighbor.

So, there is nothing that can be done. She finally found the way to get my parents out of there house. She has been harassing them since 2011, and me since 2012. Even tearing down my fathers ramp in 2012 so he could not get in and out didn't work. (I showed up and got a new ramp built in a hurry).

Lesson to be learned everyone. Go get a TPO FIRST. Do not believe there is justice...there isn't.

quincy

The judge didn't care what my evidence was. I am sorry I called her that.

There will be no time for the order to "work". I have already received an eviction notice. The notice was on my parents door before I even got back from court. (Think it was prepared in advance?) The hearing in housing court is in 2 weeks.

Let me explain. It was not the landlord who filing to get the Restraining order, it was the neighbor....although she provided guidance and help to this neighbor.

So, there is nothing that can be done. She finally found the way to get my parents out of there house. She has been harassing them since 2011, and me since 2012. Even tearing down my fathers ramp in 2012 so he could not get in and out didn't work. (I showed up and got a new ramp built in a hurry).

Lesson to be learned everyone. Go get a TPO FIRST. Do not believe there is justice...there isn't.
Although having to move might not be what either you or your parents wanted, it stands to be the best solution to the problems you have experienced since 2011. I will hope for your sake that your new neighbors are an improvement on the old (and, from what you have described of your old neighbors, this is likely to be the case). Good luck.

katie33kate

They cannot move

Although having to move might not be what either you or your parents wanted, it stands to be the best solution to the problems you have experienced since 2011. I will hope for your sake that your new neighbors are an improvement on the old (and, from what you have described of your old neighbors, this is likely to be the case). Good luck.
Only I will leave. My parents cannot move. It would cost $20k just to put their double wide out to the curb.

They are both so frail...the move would kill them

No..when they are alone...they will end up in one of those awful Medicaid nursing homes. The house will be taken by Medicaid. (Estate recovery).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">