• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding a Court Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

I'm trying to find a court case and having a difficult time. I know the the case is active, has been filed in 2012 or 2013 and who the primary firm is, where the primary firm is located, who the primary attorney is, the name DOB, and social of who is being represented, and also know that the case is against a medical device company in a specific state. Because it appears to be civil, how can this be hidden or can it?

What resource is the best at finding this case? I found Pacer however, is that just for Fed cases? Help appreciated here.

Thanks!

It is relevant to a current criminal case unfolding now. Finding this case and some premise of the contents of this case would produce clear motive to the criminal case.

Finding this would be extremely important.

latigo

Florida

I'm trying to find a court case and having a difficult time. I know the the case is active, has been filed in 2012 or 2013 and who the primary firm is, where the primary firm is located, who the primary attorney is, the name DOB, and social of who is being represented, and also know that the case is against a medical device company in a specific state. Because it appears to be civil, how can this be hidden or can it?

What resource is the best at finding this case? I found Pacer however, is that just for Fed cases? Help appreciated here.

Thanks!
Let's see here.

You know the case is "active"; you know that it was "filed in 2012 or 2013"; you know the location of "the primary firm"' (whatever that is supposed to mean- lawyers, litigants, investigators?); you know the "specific state" where the case was filed, etc., etc., and yet knowing all of this you have been unable to find it? (Mmm. . apparently this "information highway" thing isn't all its cracked up to be.)

Whatever, if you know the state and county where the defendant hangs his hat or maintains its principal place of business you might inquire at the offices of the clerk of the court for that county as to whether the names of any of the litigants appear on the trial docket and thus come up with a case number.

Anyway I hope that you track it and its "contents" down before this "unfolding current criminal case" folds up. Failure to "produce clear criminal motive" might just cause it to prematurely collapse. Not always, but it is nice for the state to have it. Which prompts my questions to you:

On what theory do you believe that a factual finding in a civil action would be admissible in a criminal case? Is it possible that you might just be spinning wheels here?

Also, what stake do you have in this "currently unfolding criminal case". Obviously you are neither defendant nor prosecutor. And if the "contents/premises" of a civil case are essential to the prosecution of this unfolding criminal case, isn't it getting a bit late?

In answer to your questions.

Your first.

Motive.

If the civil case, which involves significant, and I mean significant dollars for PI via defective product and great bodily harm, includes such language as "can't do this" "can't do that" as a premise. Someone knows otherwise, and can throw a major wrench into the equation. If the potential recipient of such an award can "remove credibility" incarcerate the knowledgeable person by filing erroneous criminal charges, the civil has a much better chance at moving forward without the wrench.

And secondly,

It's a family member who has been criminally charged. Guy / Girl situation so, be brilliant here...

Back to my original question. Would becoming a Pacer member help with the information I know? or, Just pay the money via discovery through their attorney. Just trying to be frugal and efficient.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and hope this answers / explains my inquiry better....

Florida

Thanks!
If the case was filed in a federal district court, then you can use the following link

http://dockets.justia.com/

to find the case in ANY federal district court based only on the name of one of the parties (the name of the plaintiff or defendant). You can then use a PACER account to see the case docket and download what was filed (PACER accounts are free to sign up for, but there are minimal costs to download docket items).

If the case was filed in a State court, then you have to know what State, and what county, and what court/system it was filed in. Then you have to find out how to look up a case in that state/county/court. It varies by state/county/court. Some are online, most are not.

If you don't know what state, county, or court the case was filed in, then you could call the attorney's office that is representing one of the parties, and ask them if they mind telling you what state, county, and court the case involving so-and-so (one of their clients) was filed in. They don't have to tell you, but they might.

If you don't know what state, county, or court the case was filed in, then you could call the attorney's office that is representing one of the parties, and ask them if they mind telling you what state, county, and court the case involving so-and-so (one of their clients) was filed in. They don't have to tell you, but they might.
BTW, as someone else sort of suggested, if the attorney that you know is involved in the case is representing the plaintiff, and the attorney is located in the same county as the plaintiff, then a first guess would be that the plaintiff filed their case in state court in that county. So find out what courts in that county would be appropriate for the case (for instance small claims, court of common pleas, superior court, etcetera) and look up that court online to see if you can search online for information about filed cases or call the court up and ask them how to search for a case with a plaintiff or defendant named so-and-so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">