• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is flirting illegal in new york city? how to handle with this issue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xunder9789

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York City , NY

Is flirting illegal in new york city ? , how to handle with this issue? i went to new york in 2010 and i heard that it is illegal to flirt ,but a officer told me that its only a fine of 25 dollars for flirting i dont understand since this law is old in the books and still active but police officers told me they don t enforce it ,how people don t get in trouble even if its human nature to flirt with friends and family with out getting in trouble?

i need an advice on a guide on how to live in new york and living a normal life with out getting in trouble?

Proserpina

Is flirting illegal in new york city ? , how to handle with this issue? i went to new york in 2010 and i heard that it is illegal to flirt ,but a officer told me that its only a fine of 25 dollars for flirting i dont understand since this law is old in the books and still active but police officers told me they don t enforce it ,how people don t get in trouble even if its human nature to flirt with friends and family with out getting in trouble?

i need an advice on a guide on how to live in new york and living a normal life with out getting in trouble?

Somebody had a joke at your expense. The rules are simple: flirt only with adults who are of sound mind who are able to consent to flirting.

quincy

Although the law you are speaking of is an old one and not enforced, New York City's Taxi and Limousine Commission proposed in April 2016 new rules for its drivers that have been dubbed "the no-flirting laws."

These new laws address sexual harassment and unwanted sexual contact. The penalties for violating these laws come with possible license suspensions and fines far greater than $25. They amend Title 35, Section 1, Section 51-03 of the Rules of the City of New York.

Here is a link: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/downloads/pdf/proposed_rules_clean_up_package_cert_031516.pdf

Although the new rules are not dumb, there ARE dumb laws in New York City that have not been repealed but are no longer enforced. The police have more important matters to deal with than residents who are flirting or residents who are walking around with ice cream cones in their pockets or residents who talk in elevators or residents who wear slippers after 10. ;)

Proserpina

Although the law you are speaking of is an old one and not enforced, New York City's Taxi and Limousine Commission proposed in April 2016 new rules for its drivers that have been dubbed "the no-flirting laws."

These new laws address sexual harassment and unwanted sexual contact. The penalties for violating these laws come with possible license suspensions and fines far greater than $25. They amend Title 35, Section 1, Section 51-03 of the Rules of the City of New York.

Here is a link: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/downloads/pdf/proposed_rules_clean_up_package_cert_031516.pdf

Although the new rules are not dumb, there ARE dumb laws in New York City that have not been repealed but are no longer enforced. The police have more important matters to deal with than residents who are flirting or residents who are walking around with ice cream cones in their pockets or residents who talk in elevators or residents who wear slippers after 10. ;)
I'm simultaneously astonished and horrified that we, as a society, apparently need these laws.

quincy

I'm simultaneously astonished and horrified that we, as a society, apparently need these laws.
Having ridden in New York City taxis not all that long ago, I guess I am not all that surprised it was felt by the TLC that laws were needed.

But I think a lot of the reported offenses that led to the changes could be explained as merely a lost in translation/failure to communicate (although, admittedly, prohibiting drivers from ejaculating on passengers seems a bit more than just a translation problem). :)

Last edited:

LdiJ

Indiana has an absurd number of laws on the books that have never been officially repealed but are no longer enforced, or have been struck down by case law...most of them no longer enforced for 100 or more years or were struck down many years ago.

One law has something to do with automobiles and horses. I do not remember the full details but it was something along the lines that any automobile that encountered a horse had to leave the road and shut down completely until the horse was out of earshot.

There are all KINDS of laws that have to do with sex in one manner or another.

The same is true in pretty much every state in the USA. Therefore, one cannot assume that because a law is still on the books that it hasn't either been struck down by case law (but never officially repealed) or isn't simply treated as archaic by the legal community.

quincy

Indiana has an absurd number of laws on the books that have never been officially repealed but are no longer enforced, or have been struck down by case law...most of them no longer enforced for 100 or more years or were struck down many years ago.

One law has something to do with automobiles and horses. I do not remember the full details but it was something along the lines that any automobile that encountered a horse had to leave the road and shut down completely until the horse was out of earshot.

There are all KINDS of laws that have to do with sex in one manner or another.

The same is true in pretty much every state in the USA. Therefore, one cannot assume that because a law is still on the books that it hasn't either been struck down by case law (but never officially repealed) or isn't simply treated as archaic by the legal community.
Baths may not be taken between the months of October and March in Indiana. I guess Michiganders should stand downwind of your state in the winter, huh? ;)

Dumb Laws in Indiana: http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/indiana

Not all that many years ago, Michigan used one of their old laws to arrest and charge a man for cussing in earshot of children. The law has since been repealed.

Proserpina

Having ridden in New York City taxis not all that long ago, I guess I am not all that surprised it was felt by the TLC that laws were needed.

But I think a lot of the reported offenses that led to the changes could be explained as merely a lost in translation/failure to communicate (although, admittedly, prohibiting drivers from ejaculating on passengers seems a bit more than just a translation problem). :)
I have no words. :eek::eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">