• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Followed and blocked in with a car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawbird

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
If you were followed by an individual and you then pulled into a parking lot and the individual followed you into the parking lot and pulled his vehicle behind yours preventing you from moving what criminal and civil remedy would you have against this individual. A call was placed to 911 and while speaking to 911 the individual had left but the license plate of this individual was given to the 911 dispatcher. The dispatcher said that the police would be in contact but to date they have never made contact. As such I am now asking what remedy can be pursued either criminally or civil in the state of pennsylvania? The first thought that comes to mind is harassment and stalking. The second thought that comes to mind is an illegal seizure. Any thoughts on this post. Thanks.

LdiJ

If you were followed by an individual and you then pulled into a parking lot and the individual followed you into the parking lot and pulled his vehicle behind yours preventing you from moving what criminal and civil remedy would you have against this individual. A call was placed to 911 and while speaking to 911 the individual had left but the license plate of this individual was given to the 911 dispatcher. The dispatcher said that the police would be in contact but to date they have never made contact. As such I am now asking what remedy can be pursued either criminally or civil in the state of pennsylvania? The first thought that comes to mind is harassment and stalking. The second thought that comes to mind is an illegal seizure. Any thoughts on this post. Thanks.
It depends on the backstory, and whether or not this was a one time thing or a consistent problem.

sandyclaus

It depends on the backstory, and whether or not this was a one time thing or a consistent problem.
I agree.

People (strangers or otherwise) don't follow you and block you in, preventing your departure, for no reason. There's DEFINITELY more to this story than what has been presented here. I'm thinking that the response will be guided by the context.

OP, what's the REAL story behind what happened here?

lawbird

Was not intentionally omitting past incidences.

It appears you failed your first flight here. We tend to be smarter than the average bear.
No doubt.

The individual I'm talking about his identity is known it is someone with mutual dislike. Next door neighbor type squabble. Your bushes have exceeded your property line onto mine type stuff. At first when he was following and up to when he pulled into the parking lot he was un recognizable he had gained weight and grown a goatee. However I had my suspicion that it was him so a few days later I drove by his house and low and behold same car same license plate. I didn't think it was of much importance that I use to live by him and we disagreed in the past as I was just dealing with the facts of the issue I'm posting about. You know how it is courts just want to hear about the facts at hand but I guess the way the responses have come in these prior incidences would be material to the current situation. Please note I was not omitting anything on purpose I was just posting the exact scenario which happened on the day in question.

Based on everything I've read and looking at it a little differently this might as up to harassment or such. Yes/no?

Last edited:

lawbird

Makes more sense

I guess the backstory would be important leading up to the events of the day I'm speaking about. I didn't look at it like that but it does make more sense now. Hey. That is why I post to this forum for guidance and insight. I appreciate all the feed back.

LdiJ

No doubt.

The individual I'm talking about his identity is known it is someone with mutual dislike. Next door neighbor type squabble. Your bushes have exceeded your property line onto mine type stuff. At first when he was following and up to when he pulled into the parking lot he was un recognizable he had gained weight and grown a goatee. However I had my suspicion that it was him so a few days later I drove by his house and low and behold same car same license plate. I didn't think it was of much importance that I use to live by him and we disagreed in the past as I was just dealing with the facts of the issue I'm posting about. You know how it is courts just want to hear about the facts at hand but I guess the way the responses have come in these prior incidences would be material to the current situation. Please note I was not omitting anything on purpose I was just posting the exact scenario which happened on the day in question.

Based on everything I've read and looking at it a little differently this might as up to harassment or such. Yes/no?
How long did he follow you and for how long did he block you in? Has he done anything else recently?

lawbird

How long did he follow you and for how long did he block you in? Has he done anything else recently?
He followed me for about 2 miles and after I pulled into the parking lot He blocked in for about 3 minutes when I finally got out of the car with 911 on the phone he left. I have had no confrontation or seen this guy in almost a year and a half. This event started while he was in front of me at a red light. We were both in the passing or left lane He pulled out and was going like 15mph in a 35 so I passed him in the right lane and got ahead of him and that when he followed me to the point where I pulled into the parking lot. I didn't even recognize him as he looked totally different than the last I saw him. The only other thing he's done was in the past about 3 years ago and after our brush I just ignored him. He's small potatoes but even if he is a tiny spud he's not going to follow me and Block me in with my girlfriend in the car and not read about it somewhere.

LdiJ

He followed me for about 2 miles and after I pulled into the parking lot He blocked in for about 3 minutes when I finally got out of the car with 911 on the phone he left. I have had no confrontation or seen this guy in almost a year and a half. This event started while he was in front of me at a red light. We were both in the passing or left lane He pulled out and was going like 15mph in a 35 so I passed him in the right lane and got ahead of him and that when he followed me to the point where I pulled into the parking lot. I didn't even recognize him as he looked totally different than the last I saw him. The only other thing he's done was in the past about 3 years ago and after our brush I just ignored him. He's small potatoes but even if he is a tiny spud he's not going to follow me and Block me in with my girlfriend in the car and not read about it somewhere.
You are not going to get him arrested for harassing and stalking for such an isolated, short time frame incident. He probably didn't even know it was you either at first. Most likely he was reacting to the fact that you passed him like that. Was it appropriate? No, it was not. However it wasn't stalking or harassing. There is no consistent pattern of behavior to indicate such. What it indicates is that he is still a jerk.

Now, if he starts looking for you and creating more incidents THEN you might have something to go on.

OHRoadwarrior

You are really blowing the entire thing out of proportion. Apparently the police realize it also. He may have had a few choice words to convey about your driving abilities and changed his mind.

ecmst12

The police *might* go and have a chat with him. Maybe. Don't expect to hear anything about it either way and hopefully it won't happen again.

lawbird

You are not going to get him arrested for harassing and stalking for such an isolated, short time frame incident. He probably didn't even know it was you either at first. Most likely he was reacting to the fact that you passed him like that. Was it appropriate? No, it was not. However it wasn't stalking or harassing. There is no consistent pattern of behavior to indicate such. What it indicates is that he is still a jerk.

Now, if he starts looking for you and creating more incidents THEN you might have something to go on.
Thank you for the response. It makes sense to me. I realize its not a big deal but sometimes don't you wish you can get to see someone in the defendants chair and watch the courts smack that attitude right out of them. Once again. Thank you for all of your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">