• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Food stamps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KRX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

My roomate/tenant registered for food stamps a few years ago. She is now being sued for failure to repay their overpayment. Except my name is also on the summons.

We live on separate stories of my house. We do have a son in common. We were legally divorced 4 years before the incident in question and continue to be legally divorced.

Why is my name on her summons to civil court?

I want to plead innocent for my part, while she wants to plead guilty and pay for hers.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

My roomate/tenant registered for food stamps a few years ago. She is now being sued for failure to repay their overpayment. Except my name is also on the summons.

We live on separate stories of my house. We do have a son in common. We were legally divorced 4 years before the incident in question and continue to be legally divorced.

Why is my name on her summons to civil court?

I want to plead innocent for my part, while she wants to plead guilty and pay for hers.
Why were you not supporting your mutual child? Are/were you paying Child Support?

commentator

Were you on her case? Were you listed as a person in her household and counted as a person who ate with her for food stamp purposes? That's why your name is on the charges. Though you may be separated or divorced now or then, you were then in her household, and she was reporting you, and it is coming down on both adults in the household. Sounds like you were, actually, someone who was profiting, or at least eating from the food stamps she received.

Oh come on, they've many times heard that crap about "we're divorced, but we still live together, I live in the second story, she lives downstairs, we don't commingle our food supply.." many times. How many refrigerators does your household have? Actually, I don't think it will make any difference, if you were in the household, and the number of people in the household included you, good luck proving that you didn't partake of the food stamp food that was brought into the house, purchased and prepared, since you are now divorced, or separated, or not eating the same food, and that you should not be responsible to repay the monies as much as she is.

KRX

Were you on her case? Were you listed as a person in her household and counted as a person who ate with her for food stamp purposes? That's why your name is on the charges. Though you may be separated or divorced now or then, you were then in her household, and she was reporting you, and it is coming down on both adults in the household. Sounds like you were, actually, someone who was profiting, or at least eating from the food stamps she received.

Oh come on, they've many times heard that crap about "we're divorced, but we still live together, I live in the second story, she lives downstairs, we don't commingle our food supply.." many times. How many refrigerators does your household have? Actually, I don't think it will make any difference, if you were in the household, and the number of people in the household included you, good luck proving that you didn't partake of the food stamp food that was brought into the house, purchased and prepared, since you are now divorced, or separated, or not eating the same food, and that you should not be responsible to repay the monies as much as she is.
Well, I wasn't eating the food, but my Son was. And she confirms that she didn't list me on her documents, but she did list my son. So maybe you are right?

My main question is how I can be included with her. If they wanted to sue only me I would be happy to pay. But I don't want to plead guilty to charges that frame us, even implicitly, as a singular couple. I worry that this could be used against me later to prove common law marrage or whatever (even if we shouldn't technically fit the definition here).

And how is the burden of proof on the accused? I didn't take a lot a lot of legal classes in college, but even still that just seems wrong.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Well, I wasn't eating the food, but my Son was. And she confirms that she didn't list me on her documents, but she did list my son. So maybe you are right?

My main question is how I can be included with her. If they wanted to sue only me I would be happy to pay. But I don't want to plead guilty to charges that frame us, even implicitly, as a singular couple. I worry that this could be used against me later to prove common law marrage or whatever (even if we shouldn't technically fit the definition here).

And how is the burden of proof on the accused? I didn't take a lot a lot of legal classes in college, but even still that just seems wrong.
I suppose the State of Colorado wants you to be responsible as a parent and pay the taxpayers back for the support they provided your son.

KRX

I suppose the State of Colorado wants you to be responsible as a parent and pay the taxpayers back for the support they provided your son.
Which, like I said, would be fine. But this does not answer my question.

Is anyone even reading what I'm writing, or is this site just flooded with some weird version of quasi-legal trolls?

Silverplum

Which, like I said, would be fine. But this does not answer my question.

Is anyone even reading what I'm writing, or is this site just flooded with some weird version of quasi-legal trolls?
I'm in CO, and was just signing on to look over your question and, perhaps, find you good answers.

Now? Not.

KRX

I'm in CO, and was just signing on to look over your question and, perhaps, find you good answers.

Now? Not.
Well, thanks for taking the time to log in I guess?

You're telling me you don't see it though? People mobbing in to tell people why they are wrong and shame them in any way possible, all the while ignoring the real questions?

But maybe you are right, maybe I just phrased things wrong and gave people too much ammunition. The question is as follows:

Why are my roomate and I both being sued as a singular entity, and is there a way to split this case to be either listed singularly to her or I, respectively?

single317dad

Well, thanks for taking the time to log in I guess?

You're telling me you don't see it though? People mobbing in to tell people why they are wrong and shame them in any way possible, all the while ignoring the real questions?

But maybe you are right, maybe I just phrased things wrong and gave people too much ammunition. The question is as follows:

Why are my roomate and I both being sued as a singular entity, and is there a way to split this case to be either listed singularly to her or I, respectively?
You and your ex-spouse share a residence and a mutual child. You've allowed her to add your son, whom you have primary custody of, to her welfare account. That's why. Let me tell you, when my son's mom did this? I spent the next two years arguing with the welfare office trying to get him removed, because I knew the responsibility would eventually come back on me.

As to "splitting the case" (severance action?), you could ask a case worker or a lawyer. In fact, if you don't want to lose the case and have a judgment (and possibly criminal trouble), I suggest you talk to a lawyer anyway.

KRX

You and your ex-spouse share a residence and a mutual child. You've allowed her to add your son, whom you have primary custody of, to her welfare account. That's why. Let me tell you, when my son's mom did this? I spent the next two years arguing with the welfare office trying to get him removed, because I knew the responsibility would eventually come back on me.

As to "splitting the case" (severance action?), you could ask a case worker or a lawyer. In fact, if you don't want to lose the case and have a judgment (and possibly criminal trouble), I suggest you talk to a lawyer anyway.
Well, like you I did not allow it. That seems like victim-blaming language that legitimizes a cruel and unjust justice system. But yes, it did happen.

It's odd that the best advise offered on the "free legal advise" forum is "talk to a lawyer".

Criminal and civil cases are different though. They may be likely to go together for a single infraction, but from what I understand rulings from the one would not necessarily effect the other.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
C'mon - you don't need to continue with the whole roommate charade - we know how it is.

commentator

And so is the agency you are dealing with. THis is an agency fraud case at the present time. Keep agitating, and it can quickly become a criminal charges fraud case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">