• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found a piece of plastic in McDonald's applie pie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilyronx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I bit into a small piece of plastic in a McDonald's apple pie. Other than calling the corporate phone number and reporting it, what can be done?

There was no physical damage done, just gross out. The plastic is the size of nickle, flexible...large enough to choke on.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I bit into a small piece of plastic in a McDonald's apple pie. Other than calling the corporate phone number and reporting it, what can be done?

There was no physical damage done, just gross out. The plastic is the size of nickle, flexible...large enough to choke on.
I suppose you could use it as a replacement marker for a board game...
Or maybe as a very very small target for sharp-shooting...
Or, you COULD include it in your next art project...

You did not hit the lawsuit lottery though!

justalayman

well, it's better plastic than this:

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2011/02/woman-sues-mcdonalds-over-glass-in-spicy-chicken-sandwich.html

I would guess they took her situation seriously and decided to soften up any foreign material they put in their food so nobody is actually injured.

Some Random Guy

I would personally go the route of taking a picture of the plastic and e-mailing it to McDonalds along with a complaint. Although you have no injuries or damages, most companies take safety quite seriously and may even send some coupons your way.

Last time I complained about a company's products (trash bags that had an incorrect cut on the drawstrap from the factory, rendering the entire box useless), they sent me a check for the box of bags, plus the postage for me to send back some sampes, plus $25 in coupons for bags (good coupons, 50-100% off).

sandyclaus

I guess the question here is, what do you EXPECT to happen here?

If you are expecting countless millions in damages, you aren't going to get it. (You had no damages.)

I'll bet if you are nice on the phone, the Corporate people at McD's will send you a coupon for a FREE applie pie (sic) so that you can get the full enjoyment of a whole one sans the plastic.

justalayman

Last time I complained about a company's products (trash bags that had an incorrect cut on the drawstrap from the factory, rendering the entire box useless), they sent me a check for the box of bags, plus the postage for me to send back some sampes, plus $25 in coupons for bags (good coupons, 50-100% off).
well, $25 at McD's would last me about...well, I cannot remember spending a cumulative $25 over the last 15 years at minimum. It could last me the rest of my life:D

Betty

You have no damages to sue for if that is what you are wondering. As
some other responders also noted, if you report it to McDonald's, they might send you some coupons to their restaurant. That's about it.

justalayman

My (adult) kids can do that in one sitting.

Sigh.

:eek:
I used to really enjoy burgers from Mac's or BK and, when I was young, Burger Chef. They have figured out how to take one of my favorite foods and turn it into the most tasteless food short of eating a piece of cardboard. Dry, often cold, seriously lacking flavor (short of the condiments). About the only time I eat from those places anymore is when I am working and really busy and need to shove some form of food (I hesitate saying nutrition) into me so I don't go into hypoglycemia problems. Fast food because it is just that; fast and readily available.

Now, I am relegated to making burgers at home, the way I like them: with taste when I want to enjoy eating a hamburger. Once in awhile I will find some little joint that makes what I like to call; greaseburgers. Those are the kind that when they wrap them in paper, by the time you get to them, the paper is wetted with grease from the burger. That's flavor. Hard to find that anymore with all the super lean beef everybody wants to claim is healthier for you. I doubt the health claim but it is definitely cheaper.

One of these days I'm going to try to Wagyu beef but right now, I can't justify spending $30 (for the cheaper cuts and qualities) to $100 pound (for the good stuff), on beef.

Just Blue

I used to really enjoy burgers from Mac's or BK and, when I was young, Burger Chef. They have figured out how to take one of my favorite foods and turn it into the most tasteless food short of eating a piece of cardboard. Dry, often cold, seriously lacking flavor (short of the condiments). About the only time I eat from those places anymore is when I am working and really busy and need to shove some form of food (I hesitate saying nutrition) into me so I don't go into hypoglycemia problems. Fast food because it is just that; fast and readily available.

Now, I am relegated to making burgers at home, the way I like them: with taste when I want to enjoy eating a hamburger. Once in awhile I will find some little joint that makes what I like to call; greaseburgers. Those are the kind that when they wrap them in paper, by the time you get to them, the paper is wetted with grease from the burger. That's flavor. Hard to find that anymore with all the super lean beef everybody wants to claim is healthier for you. I doubt the health claim but it is definitely cheaper.

One of these days I'm going to try to Wagyu beef but right now, I can't justify spending $30 (for the cheaper cuts and qualities) to $100 pound (for the good stuff), on beef.
Isn't McD's and other fast "food" have been found to have ...non-beef? :eek:

justalayman

Isn't McD's and other fast "food" have been found to have ...non-beef? :eek:
I remember when they first changed their signs from over XXXXX million burgers served to over 1 billion burgers served.

My brother made the comment; they must be on their 3rd or 4th cow by now:eek:

Just Blue

I remember when they first changed their signs from over XXXXX million burgers served to over 1 billion burgers served.

My brother made the comment; they must be on their 3rd or 4th cow by now:eek:
lol!!

My Mother said "I wonder how many heart attacks were "served"?

sigh...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">