• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

framing a person.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stebbinsd

Suppose I write some things to my local newspaper that gets published, and my employer reprimands me publicly and tells me in front of the entire office that if I say those things anymore, I'll be fired. I know that the First Amendment only applies to government censorship, so I immediately agree to keep my mouth shut, since this is the job of my dreams.

A hostile coworker, however, hears about this, so he decides to write the newspaper with an anonymous return address, and say the same things, and put my name on it. The next morning, I tell my boss that I didn't write that stuff, but he doesn't believe me, and fires me.

So after about a week, that hostile coworker makes a phone call to me and admits that he was the one who set me up just to get me fired. Little did he know that I have the phone on speaker, and I'm filming a family video at the time, so I now have proof that he's the perpetrator.

At that point, what exactly am I sueing him for? Libel? Identity theft? What?

cyjeff

I would let the police figure that out.

Only one problem.... your tape, unless he knew he was being taped, is probably not admissible.

What state?

stebbinsd

I would let the police figure that out.

Only one problem.... your tape, unless he knew he was being taped, is probably not admissible.

What state?
The tape was merely hypothetical. What I was trying to establish was proof. Forget for a minute how I got the proof since the type of proof I have is irrelevant to the name of the tort I'm suing over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">