• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud upon the court and by the court.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aeligos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

IL- State

Credit collection case.

No court summons issued.

I learned about this case because my bank sent me an email stating my account was overdrawn. Thinking it was a gross computer glitch, I called the bank but only to be told that a court order had been received by them to freeze my account. I was not involved in any case -- not to my knowledge.

I requested copy of court order from the bank. I then went to clerk office with the court case # to learn that the case had been started thirty (30) months prior to that email from my bank. I was also told that the case had a subsequent date scheduled within the next two weeks. Not knowing how this case went on without my knowledge, I went to the hearing to find out more and demand verification that I owed the debt and for verification of the amount owed.

I asked the judge if the court is no longer issuing summons for court cases. The judge asked me my present address. I answered. He then said that the document in the chart indicates that I was served. I asked him if I could see that document. The document had only the word "refused" written on it and the description field of person was left blank. My name wasn't even on it anywhere. I told judge that nothing was refused because nothing had been served and that the document he had showed me was a fraud. The judge laughed. He said "Why would you think that?" I replied, "because in 2009 and in 2010 the collection agency tried to collect on [other] date-barred debt and at those times I asked for verification of amount and for verification that I owed them." I also said to the judge that the two cases in 2009 and 2010 were dismissed because the debt collector was unable to provide verification that I had asked for. I concluded my response by saying that they, the credit collection company, KNEW that I knew what to ask, and for that reason they had the affidavit of service falsified -- to deny me my right to be present in my own hearing so that I would contest the lawsuit.

The judge's nonverbal response was very telling. He briefly looked at the plaintiff's attorney and then quickly looked at the documents in front of him. Then he began to write. He continued to say things to plaintiff's attorney (using legal jargon which I didn't understand). I asked him what he was saying. Then he smiled at me. I then asked him if he was going to approve the removal my my money from my account. He said yes. I told him that the case was presented fraudulently and that I was denied my right to be notified of this case and that the case should be dismissed and recalled. He refused. I then asked to provide the documents supporting the plaintiff's claim, but he denied me that request stating "we're well beyond that point."

There was nothing I could have done.

Five days later, my account was emptied and the bank then closed my account with a small negative amount comprising of bank fees (for not having activity and for having balance below a certain amount).

One month later I went to clerk office to get copies of case. The affidavit of service that the judge showed me was not part of the public file. In its place is an entirely differently looking affidavit with my name and address on it. The physical description fields were filled in - but with grossly incorrect variables; variables that in no way describes ANYONE residing in this house.

Three or four entities are guilty here:
1. credit collection agency for suing for time-barred debt (IL statutes prevent this; they can attempt collection but the cannot sue)
2. law firm for knowingly submitting falsified affidavits; for suing for time-barred debt; for purposely delaying personal jurisdiction against me until any statute available to me (re default judgement statute) had expired
3. process server for submitting fraudulent documents (fraud upon the court)
4. and of course the judge for dereliction of duty after I expressed my concern that fraud had been committed (plus the *incomplete affidavit* that he showed me which somehow did NOT make it to the public record)

Now, I am a law-abiding US citizen and I would like to remain that way. So what can I do now??

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

IL- State

Credit collection case.

No court summons issued.

I learned about this case because my bank sent me an email stating my account was overdrawn. Thinking it was a gross computer glitch, I called the bank but only to be told that a court order had been received by them to freeze my account. I was not involved in any case -- not to my knowledge.

I requested copy of court order from the bank. I then went to clerk office with the court case # to learn that the case had been started thirty (30) months prior to that email from my bank. I was also told that the case had a subsequent date scheduled within the next two weeks. Not knowing how this case went on without my knowledge, I went to the hearing to find out more and demand verification that I owed the debt and for verification of the amount owed.

I asked the judge if the court is no longer issuing summons for court cases. The judge asked me my present address. I answered. He then said that the document in the chart indicates that I was served. I asked him if I could see that document. The document had only the word "refused" written on it and the description field of person was left blank. My name wasn't even on it anywhere. I told judge that nothing was refused because nothing had been served and that the document he had showed me was a fraud. The judge laughed. He said "Why would you think that?" I replied, "because in 2009 and in 2010 the collection agency tried to collect on [other] date-barred debt and at those times I asked for verification of amount and for verification that I owed them." I also said to the judge that the two cases in 2009 and 2010 were dismissed because the debt collector was unable to provide verification that I had asked for. I concluded my response by saying that they, the credit collection company, KNEW that I knew what to ask, and for that reason they had the affidavit of service falsified -- to deny me my right to be present in my own hearing so that I would contest the lawsuit.

The judge's nonverbal response was very telling. He briefly looked at the plaintiff's attorney and then quickly looked at the documents in front of him. Then he began to write. He continued to say things to plaintiff's attorney (using legal jargon which I didn't understand). I asked him what he was saying. Then he smiled at me. I then asked him if he was going to approve the removal my my money from my account. He said yes. I told him that the case was presented fraudulently and that I was denied my right to be notified of this case and that the case should be dismissed and recalled. He refused. I then asked to provide the documents supporting the plaintiff's claim, but he denied me that request stating "we're well beyond that point."

There was nothing I could have done.

Five days later, my account was emptied and the bank then closed my account with a small negative amount comprising of bank fees (for not having activity and for having balance below a certain amount).

One month later I went to clerk office to get copies of case. The affidavit of service that the judge showed me was not part of the public file. In its place is an entirely differently looking affidavit with my name and address on it. The physical description fields were filled in - but with grossly incorrect variables; variables that in no way describes ANYONE residing in this house.

Three or four entities are guilty here:
1. credit collection agency for suing for time-barred debt (IL statutes prevent this; they can attempt collection but the cannot sue)
2. law firm for knowingly submitting falsified affidavits; for suing for time-barred debt; for purposely delaying personal jurisdiction against me until any statute available to me (re default judgement statute) had expired
3. process server for submitting fraudulent documents (fraud upon the court)
4. and of course the judge for dereliction of duty after I expressed my concern that fraud had been committed (plus the *incomplete affidavit* that he showed me which somehow did NOT make it to the public record)

Now, I am a law-abiding US citizen and I would like to remain that way. So what can I do now??
If there had been attempts to serve you and you were unavailable for whatever reason, there can be alternate service (ie, notice posted on your door, notice by publication in the local newspaper, notice through the mail).

In other words, I believe (and DC or others will correct me if I am wrong, because this is not an area of expertise for me) trying to evade service by not answering the door or opening mail tends not to work if a collector can show the court that several attempts to serve you were made.

TigerD

In other words, I believe (and DC or others will correct me if I am wrong, because this is not an area of expertise for me) trying to evade service by not answering the door or opening mail tends not to work if a collector can show the court that several attempts to serve you were made.
I was always out of the process before this point - except in the case of judgment enforcement. Then it pretty much went as the OP hearing did. The debtor went into court and lied about not being served. The judge saw through it and ruled in our favor. From there I believe - although I am not sure and am not going to research it - the debtor could have appealed but would have been required to post bond equal to the judgment. I imagine that might apply to the OP as well.

DC

quincy

The following is a link to the Illinois Legal Advocate website, which provides a wealth of information - including the various ways a party can be served: http://illinoislegaladvocate.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentid=277

I think you were probably properly served, aeligos, even if not personally served.

When you did not respond to the complaint after what was probably several attempts to serve you, the collector was able to get a default judgment which led to the freeze on your account.

In other words, there are probably no false affidavits or fraudulent documents or any dereliction of duty. Sorry.

aeligos

If there had been attempts to serve you and you were unavailable for whatever reason, there can be alternate service (ie, notice posted on your door, notice by publication in the local newspaper, notice through the mail).

The summons was never issued.

As I had previously mentioned, someone wrote "refused" on the incomplete affidavit that the judge showed me, which is not what happened; nothing was refused. There is always someone here and we all knew that a summons might be presented due to the prior two cases I had successfully dismissed. No one refused anything; nothing was presented.

I had been served in the past and I know that ignoring a court summons would not be in my best interest. They knew, however, that I knew what to say and what to ask for in court. They deliberately denied me knowledge of this case and prevented me from being present in my own hearing... to secure that default judgement in their favor.

There was no mailing of the summons either.

Furthermore, there had been no mailings or notices or door postings regarding this debt (or the case for that matter). Mailings and calls began AFTER the personal jurisdiction was imposed on me (ie after 30 months had elapsed from the time the default judgement was made).

Secondly, the affidavit the judge showed me did not make it into public record. In its place was an entirely different one with grossly incorrect description about the person served. But again, no summons was presented.

Last edited:

aeligos

I was always out of the process before this point - except in the case of judgment enforcement. Then it pretty much went as the OP hearing did. The debtor went into court and lied about not being served. The judge saw through it and ruled in our favor. From there I believe - although I am not sure and am not going to research it - the debtor could have appealed but would have been required to post bond equal to the judgment. I imagine that might apply to the OP as well.

DC
No summons was issued; the affidavit was falsified.

That judge knows it.

quincy

The summons was never issued.

As I had mentioned, someone wrote "refused" on the affidavit that the judge showed me, which is not what happened. There is always someone here and we all knew that summons might be presented due to the prior two cases I had successfully dismissed. No one refused anything; nothing was presented. I had been served in the past and I know that ignoring a court summons would not be in my best interest. They knew, however, that I knew what to say and what to ask for in court. They deliberately denied me knowledge of this case and prevented me from being present in my own own hearing... to secure that default judgement in their favor.

There was no mailing of the summons either.

Furthermore, there had been no mailings or notices or door postings regarding this debt (or the case for that matter). Mailings and calls began AFTER the personal jurisdiction was imposed on me (ie after 30 months had elapsed from the time the default judgement was made).

Secondly, the affidavit the judge showed me did not make it into public record. In its place was an entirely different one with grossly incorrect description about the person served. But again, no summons was presented.
Odd.

Well, without the ability to do a personal review on this forum of all of the documents involved, it is impossible to tell you where you can go from here, other than to an attorney in your area who is experienced in debt collection practices and who can do the personal review.

The conduct you describe in your first post would be highly unusual (at least as far as your claims about the judge; maybe not so unusual for some debt collectors?), but unusual does not mean events have not occurred exactly as you suggest. I know there are still a few less-than-savory debt collectors in operation.

Although I don't see this turning out well for you in the end, aeligos, the attorney you see may see it all differently.

Good luck.

jack-d

Aeligos, very important question

No summons was issued; the affidavit was falsified.

That judge knows it.
Aeligos, is the name of the junk debt buyer, Asset Acceptance and or is the name of the law group Frederick J. Hanna and associates?

Proserpina

OP, I don't think you're going to win this one.

How do you prove that you weren't notified? Someone, somewhere, has a piece of paper indicating that basically they attempted to serve you and you refused. It's going to be difficult to counter that, since it's just about impossible to prove a negative.

You can't prove what the Judge does or does not know, either - at least not to the degree where it becomes helpful to you. You should know (since you appear to be familiar with debt collection actions) that if it comes down to his judgment being questioned versus you being discredited, you're going to lose.

All in all, if what you say is actually all true...then when pressed, they're going to at least make a token effort to invent more documents that you eventually will not be able to refute.

Other than that, there's not a whole heck of a lot you can do except try to see someone local, as quincy suggested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">