• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frivolous restraining order - Can I successfully fight this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vervalsing

I'm an 18 year old female living in California.

Last Thursday, a friend and I decided we would no longer continue our friendship because of the fact that she had a romantic interest in me, and I did not have those feelings back. It was awkward, obviously, but I thought that there was no malice between us and that the story would end there.

However just a couple hours ago I got an e-mail informing me that she was filing for a domestic violence restraining order against me, and the hearing is set for this Friday. I have never hit anyone in my life, I've never acted violent toward her in any way, and I haven't even been in contact at all with her since last Thursday.

It would be a huge problem for me if she gets the restraining order due to the fact that we have an English class together (in college), and it's now halfway through the semester. I would have to drop the class, and not only would my transcript suffer, I would lose the student discount for my car insurance policy.

She has no evidence whatsoever (unless she decides to make some up). I realize that this would all just be speculation, but does this have a good chance of getting thrown out?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">