• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

funeral bill responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PClendenen

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My mother's brother past away suddenly in July of this past year. He had 11 adult children and was married at least 13 times. He left this world in debt and oweing everyone. He was 75 yrs old. He never had much contact or a relationship with them or my mother. When he died my mother and two of the daughters and one of the sons went and made funeral arrangements. When it came time to sign the papers no one would sign and it left my mother to sign.

At the funeral one of the sons and one son-in-law told my mother that she would not have to pay the funeral bill that they would take care of it. But they have not to this day.

I wrote all the kids a letter and sent a copy of the bill asking for them to help in paying for the funeral bill since my mom is on a fixed income. I have not heard from any of them.

My question is, does my mom have any legal course to go through to get them to pay??

The one son got the power of attorney to his estate, but I think he found that the man had nothing but debts. This son has not even notified the man's debtors as to his death. There was a John Deere riding lawn mower and trailer of which the son took custody of.

S

seniorjudge

Whoever agreed to pay for the funeral is the person liable to pay for it.

"...My question is, does my mom have any legal course to go through to get them to pay??"

Upon what grounds would your mother have to ask the children of this man to pay for a bill your mom agreed to pay for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">