• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garnishing disability check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cate35

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia
does anyone know if you are sued and are on ssi disabilty can they garnish your disability check?

Proserpina

does anyone know if you are sued and are on ssi disabilty can they garnish your disability check?

SSI cannot be garnished for any debt; SSDI can be garnished for certain debts such as child support (but not for regular "credit-card" type debts).

cate35

reason why i ask is because we had a neighbor to come to my mother-in-laws house on her golf cart. we have a jack russell tha is very protective. he circled her golf cart barking. she got off anyway. he was coming back to our house and ran back and bit her on my mother-in-laws porch. the lady had been asked twice to come on by my moyher-in-law and she kept saying no. well he bit her. we cleaned it with peroxide, doctored it. she said she was fine and went home. i took her to er and they stitched it up. she has had to go to a wound center for a few weeks. she has medicare amd medicaid, now she has gotten a lawyer. we had to let our house insurance lapse due to my husband having multiple organ failure and on life support. he is now on disability. we got a letter from the lawyer saying that he was representing the neighbor and to give it to our insurance company. we didnt have insurance at the time this happened. the insurance we have now wont cover it.

Proserpina

While the debtor cannot garnish your disability directly, they may be able to obtain a levy/lien on any assets/bank accounts you own.

Hot Topic

reason why i ask is because we had a neighbor to come to my mother-in-laws house on her golf cart. we have a jack russell tha is very protective. he circled her golf cart barking. she got off anyway. he was coming back to our house and ran back and bit her on my mother-in-laws porch. the lady had been asked twice to come on by my moyher-in-law and she kept saying no. well he bit her. we cleaned it with peroxide, doctored it. she said she was fine and went home. i took her to er and they stitched it up. she has had to go to a wound center for a few weeks. she has medicare amd medicaid, now she has gotten a lawyer. we had to let our house insurance lapse due to my husband having multiple organ failure and on life support. he is now on disability. we got a letter from the lawyer saying that he was representing the neighbor and to give it to our insurance company. we didnt have insurance at the time this happened. the insurance we have now wont cover it.

A version of this is also posted at Civil Litigation as "dog bite." The OP apparently believes she should be "off the hook" because "just about everyone" knows how her Jack Russell is.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">