• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeannun1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington. If a person has a judgement against them and your last name changes. Can your bank account still be garnished? Or do they have to take you back to court to get a new garnishment under the new last name

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington. If a person has a judgement against them and your last name changes. Can your bank account still be garnished? Or do they have to take you back to court to get a new garnishment under the new last name
They won't have to get a new judgment. Changing your last name SOLELY to avoid debts is fraudulent.

jeannun1

It was changed do to a divorce. I was just wondered. I am making monthly payments on the debt. I am not trying to get out of paying them. I just wondered.

Rexlan

It was changed do to a divorce. I was just wondered. I am making monthly payments on the debt. I am not trying to get out of paying them. I just wondered.
Good for you. If you keep the creditor informed it will be beneficial to you in the long term and can possibly avoid additional and unnecessary legal hassles which can cost you more money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">