• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gas Company programmed meter wrong and charged me entire difference. $60,000.00

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bradnyijuan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

The Gas Company admitted they programmed meter wrong and charged me the $60,000.00 difference for the 4 years it happened. They have agreed to a 25% discount. They said that we did use the gas but it was billed at the wrong rate. The rep for the Gas Company said we could retain an attorney and take them to court. She said, historically the court would rule against us because we did use the gas. They would have to pay a fine but we would probably have to pay the full bill and the attorney fees. The restaurant was struggling but that was the finale straw. We sold the restaurant 3 months later (April 2013) and we were required to put one and a half times the amount of the bill in escrow. Is the rep. for the gas company telling me the truth and should I take the 25% discount?

Mass_Shyster

The rep for the Gas Company said we could retain an attorney and take them to court. She said, historically the court would rule against us because we did use the gas.
Don't take legal advice from your adversary. Something makes me thing she may not be telling you the whole truth.

Spend a few dollars on a legal consultation if you can't find a lawyer who will give you a free consult.

EDIT: Utilities are highly regulated. Find out who regulates your gas company and ask them.

Last edited:

justalayman

if they discovered the error, they also discovered what the error was (amount of error in percentage calculation). Simple calculations would allow you and them to come up with what the over charge was. That is what you would be due. It isn't a matter of you having used the gas since that is not an issue. It is that you were overcharged whatever and that is where your argument is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">