• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

general denial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lbrown6857

What is the name of your state? florida
What are the rules of a general denial?
I am a defendant in a personal guarentee/ landlord- tenant lawsuit, I was served with a lawsuit and was told to file a general denial. Can I file a general denial for a lawsuit over $15,000 and is it a good idea to do that to make the plaintiff prove everything.
Please advise on your thoughts on a general denial

B

Boxcarbill

lbrown6857 said:
What is the name of your state? florida
What are the rules of a general denial?
I am a defendant in a personal guarentee/ landlord- tenant lawsuit, I was served with a lawsuit and was told to file a general denial. Can I file a general denial for a lawsuit over $15,000 and is it a good idea to do that to make the plaintiff prove everything.
Please advise on your thoughts on a general denial
A general denial puts the plaintiff to proof of their claim. Yes, a general denial can be filed on any claim. However, if you have an affirmative defense, you must plead the affirmative defense to be able to assert that defense at trial. If you have an affirmative defense that is also required to be a verified pleading, then you must assert that the defense as a verified pleading in order to assert that a trial. In other words, if you intend to go to trial, you need a lawyer to properly represent you not only for defenses purposes but also to assert any counterclaim that you may have. No, I cannot tell you how to do all this as a do-it-yourself project.

N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

The $15,000 figure stuck out in your posting.

#1 The figure alone requires that you retain counsel if it gets to court, you won't be in small claims.

#2 Let me guess. The guarantee was a general guarantee and that person is alleged to be responsible for a fire in the unit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">