• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Sued By Large Corporation...HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xfactor

What is the name of your state? Texas

I live in Texas. I am being sued in Washington State.

The company that is suing me is huge. You all know them. I am not at fault for the damages they are pursuing, but that is besides the point now.

I had hired an attorney in the state of Washington to handle this, but my balance has gotten too high and he has issued a notice of withdrawl. I don't have the money to continue to pay him the $1000 a month that he is asking.

I would rather settle, and this company has offered a settle amount that I cannot afford, but I want to get something done so we can end this.

My question is...

Is bankruptcy my only option here? I know I could represent myself, but they are suing me for 20 million and there is no way they are going to get that obviously. I have a little money (very little) in my business and personal checking accounts. Nothing to brag about, believe me.

I am just curious as to my option. NO attorney will give it to me straight or give me ideas. I am tempted just to let the lawsuit go forward (we have already responded and got our interrogatories completed along with discovery) and not do any thing with it, then let them bring it to Texas if they want to collect (if they can), and then file bankruptcy here to stop it.

But, seriously, I have no idea what I am doing. Does anyone out there have any ideas for me?

In other words, what would you do if...

1) you were getting sued in another state and didn't have the money to fight it OR pay the settlement they offered and didn't have the ability to negotiate a lesser settlement because you have no idea how the system works.

2) your existing attorney has withdrawn from the case because you can't pay your legal fees.

3) you had a little money in the bank that will either pay a little settlement or pay attornies and then you would be bankrupt anyway.

Very, very strange. And the most frustrating part is that I have not done what they are claiming. I know who is guilty and I have provided them with this persons details, but they will not pursue it. They want ME. I barely make enough to live at it is. I can't understand this.

Anyway, if you have any ideas please post or email me at:

[email protected]

Thank you very, very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">