• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girl lied about her age, felony charges filed, can I sue the father for damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

polanthrah

PA - My son is being charged with 6 felonies (I believe might be 7) for sleeping with a girl who said she was 19 (even facebook said it). He was 19 at the time and she was 15. He is in the middle of this now and we are asking for a lower sentence. Currently he is capped at 14 months - 3 yrs. We are asking for 11 1/2 months so my now 20yr old son doesn't have to go to state prison. This girl has dated many people the same age older than him - people he knew so he didn't think anything of it. As it turns out, this girl has put two other people in jail for the same thing. His life is going to be ruined because a father can't control his teenage daughter. I don't think I can do anything legal about this. The laws are pretty rigid (plus the 4 yr difference should be changed as it doesn't allow for some freshmen to date seniors) Can I sue the father in a civil suit for damages? I know I can't sue her she's a minor.

justalayman

If you hadnt tried to blame this totally on the girl I might have some sympathy and maybe even some advice but given what you said; not a chance

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
PA - My son is being charged with 6 felonies (I believe might be 7) for sleeping with a girl who said she was 19 (even facebook said it). He was 19 at the time and she was 15. He is in the middle of this now and we are asking for a lower sentence. Currently he is capped at 14 months - 3 yrs. We are asking for 11 1/2 months so my now 20yr old son doesn't have to go to state prison. This girl has dated many people the same age older than him - people he knew so he didn't think anything of it. As it turns out, this girl has put two other people in jail for the same thing. His life is going to be ruined because a father can't control his teenage daughter. I don't think I can do anything legal about this. The laws are pretty rigid (plus the 4 yr difference should be changed as it doesn't allow for some freshmen to date seniors) Can I sue the father in a civil suit for damages? I know I can't sue her she's a minor.

LOL no. No you can't.

quincy

YOU cannot do anything. You have no standing to sue.

Your son is an adult.

If your son doesn't have an attorney for the criminal charges, he should definitely have one. He can discuss the possibility of filing a civil action with this attorney - but his concentration at this point should be defending against the felonies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
His life is going to be ruined because a father can't control his teenage daughter.
No, his life is going to be ruined because he couldn't be bothered with getting to know the child before bedding her. THAT stems from HIS upbringing, not hers.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
No, his life is going to be ruined because he couldn't be bothered with getting to know the child before bedding her. THAT stems from HIS upbringing, not hers.
You are a braver man than I.

I almost said it ... but figured I didn't want to get pounced. So to speak.

:D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Her son is adult and should keep it zipped until he knows who he wishes to screw. Mom seems to think that matters not because her son is innocent like Brock Turner.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I think it's disgusting that this OP is trying to deflect the responsibility for this on to the minor girl instead of his adult (by definition, not behavior) son.

quincy

I think it's disgusting that this OP is trying to deflect the responsibility for this on to the minor girl instead of his adult (by definition, not behavior) son.
The son's defense attorney will (more than likely) be deflecting the responsibility on to the minor girl. Legitimate defenses to the felony charges the son faces are mistake as to age and evidence of the victim's past sexual conduct with the defendant.

Following is a link to Pennsylvania's (2010) laws on sexual offenses. See in particular sections 3102 and 3104.

http://law.justia.com/codes/pennsylvania/2010/title-18/chapter-31

Although I think the mother needs to let her adult son and the son's attorney handle the charges without her interference and without her casting blame on the young victim for her son's actions, casting blame on the victim is one way a defendant can in court defend against criminal sexual charges.

This is not to say that I disagree with any of the previous comments made.

Last edited:

LdiJ

The son's defense attorney will (more than likely) be deflecting the responsibility on to the minor girl. Legitimate defenses to the felony charges the son faces are mistake as to age and evidence of the victim's past sexual conduct.

Following is a link to Pennsylvania's (2010) laws on sexual offenses. See in particular sections 3102 and 3104.

http://law.justia.com/codes/pennsylvania/2010/title-18/chapter-31

Although I think the mother needs to let her adult son and the son's attorney handle the charges without her interference and without her casting blame on the young victim for her son's actions, casting blame on the victim is one way a defendant can in court defend against criminal sexual charges.

This is not to say that I disagree with any of the previous comments made.
I kind of ride the fence on this one, since it is apparently the third time that a young man has been arrested for having sex with this particular 15 year old girl. However, anybody having sex with someone they do not know well is asking for problems of one kind or another. I am just not sure that being labeled as sexual predators for the rest of their lives is fair. One of my cousins could get away with buying liquor without getting carded at age 15, she honestly looked like she was over 21.

I also wonder what the heck the girl's parents are thinking not to supervise her much more closely, since this is apparently round three??!! Nevertheless, trolling the internet for sexual partners is sheer idiocy.

quincy

I kind of ride the fence on this one, since it is apparently the third time that a young man has been arrested for having sex with this particular 15 year old girl. However, anybody having sex with someone they do not know well is asking for problems of one kind or another. I am just not sure that being labeled as sexual predators for the rest of their lives is fair. One of my cousins could get away with buying liquor without getting carded at age 15, she honestly looked like she was over 21.

I also wonder what the heck the girl's parents are thinking not to supervise her much more closely, since this is apparently round three??!! Nevertheless, trolling the internet for sexual partners is sheer idiocy.
^^^^^

I agree that there is plenty of idiocy to be shared.

justalayman

If he hadn't heard from his friends the girl is jailbait and intentionally hooking up with adult males then he didn't know her well enough to be jumping into the sack with her.

Not excusing the girls parents either but I've known some quite strict parents that have dealt with this as well. Sometimes it's hard to reign in daughters. That's where we hope adults know how to keep their hormones in check.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your child is not a minor. You cannot sue for anything. So no, you have no standing and no rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">