• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Google subpoenaed for my information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nuentes

Ok, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm not being sued, or suing anybody, but I still feel this is the right place to post.

Here is the shortest explanation I can give of the incident:
Almost exactly a year ago, the property manager at my apartment approached me, telling me she had been assaulted by a tenant recently. She managed to get video of the whole thing with her cell phone. She was not very tech savvy, so she asked me to get the video off her phone, and post it to youtube so she could show it to the police. I did so using my own youtube account (setting the video to private). I never watched the video, nor was I interested. I had only lived there for a few months at this time. She later told me the police requested she brighten the video and post it again, which I did for her.

Yesterday evening I received a letter from Google that they have been subpoenaed for information regarding my account. The case it regarded was (my former property manager) vs (the property owner) (insurance company) and a third party. The lawyer who made the request is representing (insurance company). I realize that they probably just want the video, but I would like to know what other information has been requested. I called the lawyer who issued the subpoena, but have not heard back yet. Google has not responded to my email either. I requested a copy of the subpoena, or at least to know what information has been requested. The email from Google ends with a note that implies that I won't hear back from them:

Google is not in a position to answer questions regarding the subpoena or provide you with legal advice.
If you have other questions regarding the subpoena, we encourage you to contact an attorney.
I know I don't technically need to do anything, however I believe I have a right to know what personal/private information may have been requested. Can anybody provide me any assistance/information? I have been given until the 28th to quash the subpoena, and it sounds like this could only be done if they are asking for personal information that is not required.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS, this all occured in CA. I currently live in Massachusetts.

quincy

Ok, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm not being sued, or suing anybody, but I still feel this is the right place to post.

Here is the shortest explanation I can give of the incident:
Almost exactly a year ago, the property manager at my apartment approached me, telling me she had been assaulted by a tenant recently. She managed to get video of the whole thing with her cell phone. She was not very tech savvy, so she asked me to get the video off her phone, and post it to youtube so she could show it to the police. I did so using my own youtube account (setting the video to private). I never watched the video, nor was I interested. I had only lived there for a few months at this time. She later told me the police requested she brighten the video and post it again, which I did for her.

Yesterday evening I received a letter from Google that they have been subpoenaed for information regarding my account. The case it regarded was (my former property manager) vs (the property owner) (insurance company) and a third party. The lawyer who made the request is representing (insurance company). I realize that they probably just want the video, but I would like to know what other information has been requested. I called the lawyer who issued the subpoena, but have not heard back yet. Google has not responded to my email either. I requested a copy of the subpoena, or at least to know what information has been requested. The email from Google ends with a note that implies that I won't hear back from them:

I know I don't technically need to do anything, however I believe I have a right to know what personal/private information may have been requested. Can anybody provide me any assistance/information? I have been given until the 28th to quash the subpoena, and it sounds like this could only be done if they are asking for personal information that is not required.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS, this all occured in CA. I currently live in Massachusetts.
You could contact your former property manager to find out what was requested, or you could contact an attorney of your own to find out what was requested - as suggested by Google, or you could wait to hear back from those whom you have already contacted, including the lawyer who requested the subpoena.

You can act to quash any subpoena.

swalsh411

I am not asking this to suggest that people should not be concerned about their privacy, however what do you hope to gain here? Are you worried about them finding something? Remember, anything they find under any of your accounts are things you knowingly placed with a third party. This is not the same as the police searching your home.

nuentes

I considered contacting the former property manager, but decided that probably wouldn't help, since it was the lawyers from the opposing side requesting the video. I just assumed she'd be blind to what the opposing lawyers are doing.

I received a voicemail from the lawyer yesterday, which implied that they are only looking to acquire the video.

So I know they aren't trying to get my information so they can sell it. I understand that I knowingly gave it to a 3rd party. However, it's not every day you get notification of a subpoena in your inbox. I guess I really just wanted to know WHAT they requested. The video was obvious, but if they were requesting my new address in order to subpoena me, then that would not make me happy. I suppose I just wondered why they subpoenaed google for the video instead of just asking me to send it to them first...

I'm probably just going to drop the whole thing, and do nothing. Mostly because I don't want to get a lawyer to quash this thing, and the more I think about this, the more trivial it sounds. Thanks for any help thus far. I'll update if my situation changes.

swalsh411

My advice would be to not talk to anybody, especially the lawyer trying to contact you. You have zero obligation to participate or assist in this process.

quincy

I considered contacting the former property manager, but decided that probably wouldn't help, since it was the lawyers from the opposing side requesting the video. I just assumed she'd be blind to what the opposing lawyers are doing.

I received a voicemail from the lawyer yesterday, which implied that they are only looking to acquire the video.

So I know they aren't trying to get my information so they can sell it. I understand that I knowingly gave it to a 3rd party. However, it's not every day you get notification of a subpoena in your inbox. I guess I really just wanted to know WHAT they requested. The video was obvious, but if they were requesting my new address in order to subpoena me, then that would not make me happy. I suppose I just wondered why they subpoenaed google for the video instead of just asking me to send it to them first...

I'm probably just going to drop the whole thing, and do nothing. Mostly because I don't want to get a lawyer to quash this thing, and the more I think about this, the more trivial it sounds. Thanks for any help thus far. I'll update if my situation changes.
Depending on how the assault is being investigated, you might find that you will be contacted by attorney(s) in the future, for a sworn statement explaining your involvement with the video, and what was, or was not done, to the video in the process of posting it to YouTube (just to verify it was not altered in any way, for example).

Whenever you receive notice that information from your personal account has been subpoenaed, there are some privacy issues raised (for example, that the subpoena requests are overly broad). If you are not concerned about possible privacy invasion, however, then there is probably no reason for you to consult with an attorney of your own (unless to be assured that none of your rights are being unnecessarily trampled).

swalsh411

Depending on how the assault is being investigated, you might find that you will be contacted by attorney(s) in the future, for a sworn statement explaining your involvement with the video, and what was, or was not done, to the video in the process of posting it to YouTube (just to verify it was not altered in any way, for example).
He's under no obligation to respond. Why would he want to get involved?

quincy

He's under no obligation to respond. Why would he want to get involved?
nuentes may need to get involved, whether s/he wants to or not. S/he may be deposed.

As to responding to the subpoena issued on Google, nuentes has the option to respond, to quash the subpoena - but it may not be necessary. I personally would want to see that only what is needed for the investigation is being requested and nothing more, but that is up to nuentes to decide how comfortable s/he is with it all.

nuentes

Thanks for that gender neutral response. I finally heard back from Google, with the subpoena attached. The only thing that was requested was a copy of the video. The reason provided was:

To ascertain the nature and extent of injury, duration of disability, need for future medical care, earnings and earning capacity and need for vocational rehabilitation under Labor Code 129.5
so it doesn't look like they'll be coming after me, and they have no interest in me or my involvement. So I'll just let them get what they want.

Thanks for all your help!

Ps - I'm a dude.

quincy

Thanks for that gender neutral response. I finally heard back from Google, with the subpoena attached. The only thing that was requested was a copy of the video. The reason provided was:

so it doesn't look like they'll be coming after me, and they have no interest in me or my involvement. So I'll just let them get what they want.

Thanks for all your help!

Ps - I'm a dude.
Thanks for returning with the update, nuentes. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">