• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Government employee committed crimes while at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beck47720

What is the name of your state? In

While at work and on taxpayer time, a county government employee sat at her desk and pretended to be someone she wasn't, broke into and assumed my friend's dormant yahoo account and signed up and placed orders for merchandise and junk in the name of my friend. She sent anonymous letters to her employer and had baby materials sent to my friend even though she had a miscarriage. She also sent a nasty letter to her husband before they were married.

This woman screwed up and emailed me using my friends account. Long story short, I traced her IP address, contacted her network admin, they contacted the state AG office and after collecting evidence, this girl has been fired and charged with a felony.

After this came about, a co worker who suffered the same ordeal has filed a complaint as well and that case is pending.

My friend wants to file a civil suit against this woman and the county for letting this go on unnoticed for 4 years.

Personal injury lawyers seem to focus on accidents and serious injury. What specialty would this type of case fall under?

We are looking for someone outside the area who has no qualms filing a suit against the county.

Dandy Don

It is going to be next to impossible to find any attorney willing to take on such a frivolous lawsuit. Your friend has not been financially damaged enough to be able to claim a damage reward, so it would be a waste of attorney fees to pursue this matter. Just be glad that they fired the witch and she is no longer around to do it to other people.

Inox

I'm thinking it's likely the girl has some qualified immunity and you'll likely have better odds finding an attorney willing to sue another attorney depending on the politics of your area

if she was on the job in an official capacity, your suit may be against the county and it's taxpayers although you may have action against her as a person as well

I dunno, frivilous? Perhaps but plenty of those are earnestly given due process and treated otherwise by plenty of courts.

Attorneys file plenty of frivilous suits without ever verifying any color of the truth to any allegations which form the basis of their suit. Everyone in the club makes money and Rule 11 is like a straw stuffed scarecrow.

Have your friend file the suit herself.

but I'm more curious as to how you traced the IP based on emails sent via Yahoo, did they just hand over the county's IP numbers without a court order or did she email you directly using a .gov type addy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">