• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The GRINCHES who stole my Christmas (spirit)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SirPercy

What is the name of your state? Florida

Will appreciate any information on the following:

After experiencing four hurricanes in my state, two of which were a direct hit to my home/business, I made the apparently unforgivable mistake of missing one (1) payment to a creditor. All other creditors have been very willing to work with me, but this particular creditor sued me as soon as I had met the proper threshhold, and are clearly unwilling to negotiate. I made a payment after being notified of the intent to sue - and they refused to cash the check. Their best offer was a demand for 2.5 x the normal payment per month, plus a healthy down payment. (very funny, Mr. Grinch).

So they have served me and I have answered the summons, properly, and within the time limit (20 days). I have no illusions they will not get their judgement. But what I am trying to understand is: If they wouldn't take my payment, how can they (expect to) get more with a judgement? I own nothing except a house with 2 mortgages, and an 8-year old car with a title loan on it for the value of the car. Most of my personal effects (furniture, etc.) are from the "early goodwill" period, and I have no "real" jewelry, etc.

As a single person, self-employed, with no dependents, can my wages be garnished? I have various clients, which sometimes change. Can my bank accounts be garnished? If so, what percentage? If so, what can I do prevent either of these from happening?

Can they garnish even if it can be shown I could not then pay for ordinary living expenses (food, shelter(mortgage), utilities, insurance)?

Most importantly, about how long will it be before a decision is rendered? A week, a month? I trying to see a timeline between judgement and potential collection efforts...

Is there "any" chance the judge could order this creditor to accept payments, since I can prove I made good faith efforts to pay?

Are there any grinch-busters out there? :) Thanks for any input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">