• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for motion to vacate-superior court law division

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

expatriatewoes

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hello, is there a list of grounds to vacate a judgement somewhere on the net?

I've lived overseas for the past 2 years. In Aug I picked up a summons from my PO box and signed for it. I then attempted to contact 8 attorneys through resources like findlaw etc. None answered. I didn't know what to do and now I've missed my 35 days. I was certainly unable to travel to the USA to find one because my passport had expired and didn't get renewed. I haven't received notice of any judgement, does this mean there isn't one yet?

*** alternatively, is an appeal an option? ***

Are there any points of law that are standard in vacating a judgement.

Additionally, before this, my attorneys had somehow gotten a court order so that they could sue me (they enclosed this in the suit documents). I had no prior notice of any kind that an order was being filed against me. Can I vacate this order on grounds that I was never served court documents?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">