• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a guy stole and totaled my car drunk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raychel3253

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was hanging out with my friend being his DD and I took care of him all night. At seven am we got to our friends house ate and talked for a bit. I told my friend to go to sleep on the couch i went in the bedroom and laid down. It was to quiet for me so i checked on him and he was on the couch texting. A few minutes later he came in the room and asked me for a ciggarette, I told him to go to bed. Fifteen minutes later the dog started making this weird sound so I got up to see what was wrong with the dog and i looked out the window and i seen my van was gone this was at 8:05 i called him several times and got no answer at 8:14 i tell his girlfriend that he stole my car and she call me three minutes later and told me that hes been arrested for DWI and that he totaled my van. I went to the police station with my boyfriend because the van is in his name so i couldnt press charges. We pressed charges that day he was issued four tickets for his DWI and the accident. The next day he was arrested for stealing the van. In my van was my laptop which was totaled along with my van. My friend will not pay so i have to take him to civil court. My problem is at the time of the accident I was driving on a suspended license. I feel he should be responsable for his action. Is my suspention going to effect the outcome.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Duplicate post: https://forum.freeadvice.com/civil-litigation-46/my-friend-drunk-stole-totaled-my-car-more-help-494973.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">