• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

godwit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I'm not sure if this is in the right section so please let me know if I need to post this somewhere else. I live with two roommates, an engaged couple, and while I'm very good friend with one half of the couple, the other one (male) and I had a confrontation about 7 months ago. We haven't spoken since. Ever since then I have felt like I'm tiptoeing around. I have been told by my friend I can't keep my things in the kitchen because she's afraid he will break it. I put a coffee maker in there and he "went off" on her and told her to make me move it despite the face that I have an equal share of the apartment we rent together. I am feel like every time I do something he has an issue with it and makes his fiancée try to put a stop to it. I don't like feeling like I'm being controlled and that I have no rights in my home. If he breaks any of my things (which he has in the past) I will definitely sue if he doesn't replace the items, but what can I do legally to stop his harassment? I've read the legal definitions of harassment and believe I have a case. I know it's complicated since we all live together but I'd like to know what my options so I can present them to my roommates. For example, "If you are not willing to leave the past in the past and let me have a normal life, I will have to resort to [insert option here]"

Any help is appreciated.

godwit

I'm really not, I'm asking for help in a situation where I don't feel comfortable or safe so if you don't mind, either answer my question (if there is an answer) no matter how silly it is to you, or don't respond at all. Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you do not have a legal case for any kind of harassment based on what you have posted.

Grow a pair and stop letting your roommate control your life, or move out.

justalayman

I'm really not, I'm asking for help in a situation where I don't feel comfortable or safe so if you don't mind, either answer my question (if there is an answer) no matter how silly it is to you, or don't respond at all. Thanks.
what you describe is not legally actionable harassment. If he threatens you or worse, call the police. If he damages your property, ask him to pay for it. If he refuses, sue if it is worth it.

If this is a month to month tenancy, looking for another place would be a good idea.

other than that, either stand up for yourself or hide in your room. Only you can decide what will work best for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">