• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lord5855

I am trying to become a police officer but my ex had lied in court and she got a 258E harressment order on me. Would that prevent me from getting a job on the force?

quincy

I am trying to become a police officer but my ex had lied in court and she got a 258E harressment order on me. Would that prevent me from getting a job on the force?
Lord5855, you did not provide us with your state name but, because 258E is a Massachusetts harassment prevention law, I will assume you are concerned about becoming a police officer in Massachusetts.

First, here is a link to the Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 258E, which details the harassment law:
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIII/TitleIV/Chapter258E

What is different about 258E and a restraining order issued under 209A is that, under 258E, there does not have to be a family or dating or cohabitating relationship with the person against whom the order is issued. It can be issued against a neighbor, a coworker, the grocery store owner down the street. The order is issued to protect the victim from stalking, violent or threatening acts like sexual assaults, or abuse. It can prohibit the one under the order from having any contact of any kind with the one who sought and obtained the order.

Here is a link to Massachusetts police recruitment information, with an eligibility list: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/law-enforce-and-cj/law-enforce/msp-recruit-prog/recruitment-information.html

If you did not consult with an attorney prior to the issuance of the harassment order against you, it might be smart for you to consult with one now. Although an order issued under 258E is a civil order and not criminal, a violation of the order can change the acts of one under the order to criminal.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">