• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Haunting Ex....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

Earlier in the year, I ended a relationship. Had no clue what a scorned woman was capable of until I was falsely accused of Domestic Violence and subsequently arrested and incarcerated. The charges were all dropped shortly after. According to the "Injunction for Protection" which was also dropped by the court, I received a one time visit to my residence that we shared to gather personal items. In picking up boxes and such, some of her personal items were among mine of what I picked up. After unpacking in my new residence I made the discovery of the small items, I packed them up and sent to my brothers whom was still on speaking terms with her. I do know he did call her about the items to let her know he was in possession of these and she could pick them up at her leisure. She never did, my brothers house was foreclosed on, and the items apparently left there until the end.

Fast forward until today. I receive a call from a detective regarding these "items" that probably had a value of $100.00. The items I left at our residence then was in the thousands...I don't have these items, I was by law during the injunction not allowed to contact her in any way so?...I didn't.

My question here is: Wouldn't this be a civil matter for small claims? Why, when there was cohabitation, no burglary or report of burglary, no criminal allegations, would a detective be calling? Didn't take the call, didn't steal anything, not in possession of anything or sell anything... Curious as to any info to shed some light on this.

The Haunted....

LdiJ

Florida

Earlier in the year, I ended a relationship. Had no clue what a scorned woman was capable of until I was falsely accused of Domestic Violence and subsequently arrested and incarcerated. The charges were all dropped shortly after. According to the "Injunction for Protection" which was also dropped by the court, I received a one time visit to my residence that we shared to gather personal items. In picking up boxes and such, some of her personal items were among mine of what I picked up. After unpacking in my new residence I made the discovery of the small items, I packed them up and sent to my brothers whom was still on speaking terms with her. I do know he did call her about the items to let her know he was in possession of these and she could pick them up at her leisure. She never did, my brothers house was foreclosed on, and the items apparently left there until the end.

Fast forward until today. I receive a call from a detective regarding these "items" that probably had a value of $100.00. The items I left at our residence then was in the thousands...I don't have these items, I was by law during the injunction not allowed to contact her in any way so?...I didn't.

My question here is: Wouldn't this be a civil matter for small claims? Why, when there was cohabitation, no burglary or report of burglary, no criminal allegations, would a detective be calling? Didn't take the call, didn't steal anything, not in possession of anything or sell anything... Curious as to any info to shed some light on this.

The Haunted....
Did you explain the situation to the detective the way that you explained it here? Why didn't your brother take those small items with him when he moved out of his home? How did you leave things with the detective? How much time actually passed between your brother notifying her that he had the items and him moving out of his house? Did he give her any warning that he was moving?

quincy

Florida

... My question here is: Wouldn't this be a civil matter for small claims? Why, when there was cohabitation, no burglary or report of burglary, no criminal allegations, would a detective be calling? Didn't take the call, didn't steal anything, not in possession of anything or sell anything... Curious as to any info to shed some light on this. ...
I do not see how anyone on this forum can tell you why a detective would be calling you.

If you did not take the call, though, I am surprised about the amount of information the detective left with someone else or in a voice message.

That said, asking the detective why he is calling on the items will probably be the easiest way to find out why he is calling. ;)

Haunted Ex....

Thank you for the reply(s)

In answer to your question as to time between losing his home and his call? 60 days or more perhaps. As I said, I did not take the detectives call however, she, (the detective) did leave a message about "stolen items" and "call as to where the case is at" Didn't know there was a case and didn't know they involve themselves in civil home item disputes (her's / mine) items in a cohabiting, shared domicile items in a relationship gone awry.

Again, the question would be, Is this a civil dispute or not.

quincy

Thank you for the reply(s)

In answer to your question as to time between losing his home and his call? 60 days or more perhaps. As I said, I did not take the detectives call however, she, (the detective) did leave a message about "stolen items" and "call as to where the case is at" Didn't know there was a case and didn't know they involve themselves in civil home item disputes (her's / mine) items in a cohabiting, shared domicile items in a relationship gone awry.

Again, the question would be, Is this a civil dispute or not.
Have you spoken with your brother?

If your ex knew your brother had the items, perhaps your ex filed a complaint against him with the police and the detective is investigating the matter. But these are guesses.

You have the option of calling the detective to clear up the mystery or, if you think it might be you that is threatened with criminal action of some sort, you can wait and see what happens. But talking to your brother might provide you with some additional information.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">