• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have I Opened the Door to Litigation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmmmmmmhm

I have been working for an outsourced IT company for the past 3 months now as a helpdesk technician. During that time, I have come to the realization that I do not want to work in IT anymore. It could spend an entire thread in itself talking about why, but the bottom line is: I just hate it.

I have recently submitted an application to a job posting of one our clients, for a position that is in no way related to the field of IT or IT solutions. The only link that this company and mine have in common is that we support their IT systems.

Shortly after submitting my application without giving it much thought, I decided that maybe I should check my employee handbook for any rules that I may have potentially violated. This is one excerpt I found that somewhat concerns me:

"While employed by the Company, Employee agrees that he will not...Inform any existing or potential customer, supplier or creditor of the Company that Employee intends to resign, or make any statement or do any act intended to cause any existing or potential customer, supplier or creditor of the Company to learn of Employee’s intention to resign"

Clearly, I have done this. At least in the eyes of whoever is in charge of hiring at the company with whom I submitted my application.

All that said, my main question is: What is the likelihood that my employer would seek legal action if this were to get back to me? And what are the chances of this coming back to me at all? I know that I'd probably be fired, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that that would be the end of the story.

I make a measly salary of 15.50 and hour, and have access to very little knowledge of what could possibly give the company a competitive advantage.

quincy

I have been working for an outsourced IT company for the past 3 months now as a helpdesk technician. During that time, I have come to the realization that I do not want to work in IT anymore. It could spend an entire thread in itself talking about why, but the bottom line is: I just hate it.

I have recently submitted an application to a job posting of one our clients, for a position that is in no way related to the field of IT or IT solutions. The only link that this company and mine have in common is that we support their IT systems.

Shortly after submitting my application without giving it much thought, I decided that maybe I should check my employee handbook for any rules that I may have potentially violated. This is one excerpt I found that somewhat concerns me:

"While employed by the Company, Employee agrees that he will not...Inform any existing or potential customer, supplier or creditor of the Company that Employee intends to resign, or make any statement or do any act intended to cause any existing or potential customer, supplier or creditor of the Company to learn of Employee’s intention to resign"

Clearly, I have done this. At least in the eyes of whoever is in charge of hiring at the company with whom I submitted my application.

All that said, my main question is: What is the likelihood that my employer would seek legal action if this were to get back to me? And what are the chances of this coming back to me at all? I know that I'd probably be fired, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that that would be the end of the story.

I make a measly salary of 15.50 and hour, and have access to very little knowledge of what could possibly give the company a competitive advantage.
What is the name of your state?

quincy

... This is one excerpt I found that somewhat concerns me:

The part you excerpted does not sound enforceable to me - but it would take far more than just an incomplete excerpt from an employee handbook to determine that.

All that said, my main question is: What is the likelihood that my employer would seek legal action if this were to get back to me? And what are the chances of this coming back to me at all? ...
There is no way for anyone here to answer those questions.

If you are really concerned, you can review all facts with an attorney in Louisiana. Good luck with your job search.

eerelations

This is an employment law question, not a civil litigation question. Your employer's legal recourse would be to fire you, not sue you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">