• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have my HIPAA rights been violated? If so, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janedoenum2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Arizona
Recently a company that provided medical services for me was contacted by one of my family members who had received my bill by mistake. The bill did not have any information regarding the services rendered to me nor did it contain any details of my condition at that time, however the receptionist gave that information to them over the phone and without my consent. The information was very private in nature and not something that I wished to have shared (it was nothing illegal, just very private). Since this has happened I have been going through an extreme amount of distress and anxiety not only because now I have to relive the experience but also because now people who have no right to know are fully informed and sharing that information with others. I am not sure what my options are regarding that company but I am very upset and feel that they stepped over the line. What can I do?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Arizona
Recently a company that provided medical services for me was contacted by one of my family members who had received my bill by mistake. The bill did not have any information regarding the services rendered to me nor did it contain any details of my condition at that time, however the receptionist gave that information to them over the phone and without my consent. The information was very private in nature and not something that I wished to have shared (it was nothing illegal, just very private). Since this has happened I have been going through an extreme amount of distress and anxiety not only because now I have to relive the experience but also because now people who have no right to know are fully informed and sharing that information with others. I am not sure what my options are regarding that company but I am very upset and feel that they stepped over the line. What can I do?

You can report it, but you won't receive any financial compensation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">