• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having Pet Snake in Public in New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael4281

I plan on purchasing a Guyana Red Tail Boa Constrictor (BCC). I live in Buffalo, New York, are there any law prohibiting me from purchasing this breed of animal and is it possible to walk around with the snake on my neck in public if purchased?

quincy

I plan on purchasing a Guyana Red Tail Boa Constrictor (BCC). I live in Buffalo, New York, are there any law prohibiting me from purchasing this breed of animal and is it possible to walk around with the snake on my neck in public if purchased?
I haven't researched the laws (I suppose I might later) but I do know that the snake you are thinking of purchasing requires temperatures no lower than mid-70 degrees to survive (and should have temperatures of 80 to 90 degrees and above). Buffalo hardly seems to be the right climate if you want to walk around with your snake in public.

Have you thought of getting a dog? They like walks.

edit to add: Here is a link to a summary of state laws, published by Born Free USA, relating to private possession of exotic animals:

US state laws: http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_summary.php

New York specific: http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_state.php?s=ny#11-0103

Last edited:

Michael4281

Thx for the reply.

Lol I meant walking during the hot summer, not winter and yeah its get really cold in the winter but during the winter ill have still have a nice warm enclosure for it. and thx for the feedback.

FlyingRon

Boas (of any variety) are not illegal in NY state.
As for the practicallity of keeping such an animal, there are better forums thant his. Try kingsnake.com.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">