• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PissedOff@DTV

Arkansas

I have been threatened with a lawsuit by a certian large corporation (my name says it all) and have lost sleep, have migrains, marital problems, and recently started having ocular spasms (Ocular myokymia). I can't afford to go to a doctor for treatment.

I recieved 2 letters including a draft complaint accusing me of things I simply didn't do. If they would have done their investigations like they supposedly did, they would have uncovered this and never started harrassing me. They have threatened to get me sent to prison and have to pay them up to $100,000.00 if I didn't accept an out-of-court settlement from them and pay them $3,500.00. I told them that I did not do what they claim. They said that I would have to prove it to them or I would be sued.

To make a long story short, I provided them with what they wanted (i.e. my banking records) and they said that due to the information I provided to them that it was in their best interest to close the case and no longer pursue actions against me. I aske them for a certified letter stating that and they refused to send me one. I told them I would get ahold of my Attorney General if they didn't comply. They then agreed to send me a letter. The letter came several weeks later by regular mail but simply stated 'we are currently no longer pursuing this case against you, but we do however reserve the right to reopen this case and pursue this matter in the future'.

So basically put, I have no closure on this matter and I am still stressed out about not knowing if I will ever get a summons to appear in court because of them.

What is my legal recourse in this matter? I would like them to pay for the anguish they have caused me and my family when I have never done what they have said I done.

Thanks you for your time and help!

JETX

Your entire problem could be resolved very simply with a letter. However, since you have decided to piss on everyone on this site, I doubt you will get much assistance from here.
Have a hap-hap-happy day.

Oh, and since you won't get the assistance of this forum, DTV will stop their potential legal action against you for your payment of $3500 (at last look).

PissedOff@DTV

JETX said:
Your entire problem could be resolved very simply with a letter. However, since you have decided to piss on everyone on this site, I doubt you will get much assistance from here.
'piss on everyone' ??? Whet the heck do you mean? If I have said anything negative to anyone it is you, and only you. I for one don't need any advice from the local loudmouth such as yourself, but if anyone here has any advice for me without giving snide remarks such as what this 'oh-so-not-nice' person has given, please do so.
There are plenty of people here that I have seen that can give advice without being a hard-case such as you are. I am sure they are ALOT nicer in person too. You need to get out more and learn some social skills. Just about every post I have read from you, you have told someone in one form or another that they are wrong and you are right. Geez, grow up and learn that you ARE NOT always right. *oops! sorry to burst your little bubble*

JETX said:
Oh, and since you won't get the assistance of this forum, DTV will stop their potential legal action against you for your payment of $3500 (at last look).
Again, you haven't read the post carefully. They have droped the case, but they do reserve the right to reopen it. Do me a favor, JETX, do not reply to ANY of my post since your replys are rude and vile.
As for everyone else, thank you for not following this person's example.

tijerin

What is the corporation claiming you did that could get criminal charges files against you?

Are the letters (2 per your post) they sent you the only communication you received from them regarding this matter?

What "damages" have you incurred as a result of this communication between you and this corporation?

Why would they, in one instance, claim you could get fined $100,000 but be willing to settle for $3500?

I could be wrong but this sounds similar to the music industry piracy lawsuits with the exception of the fact that the lawsuit hasn't been filed FIRST. (unless I missed that in your post)

HomeGuru

PissedOff@DTV said:
Arkansas

I have been threatened with a lawsuit by a certian large corporation (my name says it all) and have lost sleep, have migrains, marital problems, and recently started having ocular spasms (Ocular myokymia). I can't afford to go to a doctor for treatment.

I recieved 2 letters including a draft complaint accusing me of things I simply didn't do. If they would have done their investigations like they supposedly did, they would have uncovered this and never started harrassing me. They have threatened to get me sent to prison and have to pay them up to $100,000.00 if I didn't accept an out-of-court settlement from them and pay them $3,500.00. I told them that I did not do what they claim. They said that I would have to prove it to them or I would be sued.

To make a long story short, I provided them with what they wanted (i.e. my banking records) and they said that due to the information I provided to them that it was in their best interest to close the case and no longer pursue actions against me. I aske them for a certified letter stating that and they refused to send me one. I told them I would get ahold of my Attorney General if they didn't comply. They then agreed to send me a letter. The letter came several weeks later by regular mail but simply stated 'we are currently no longer pursuing this case against you, but we do however reserve the right to reopen this case and pursue this matter in the future'.

So basically put, I have no closure on this matter and I am still stressed out about not knowing if I will ever get a summons to appear in court because of them.

What is my legal recourse in this matter? I would like them to pay for the anguish they have caused me and my family when I have never done what they have said I done.

Thanks you for your time and help!
**A: you are an idiot and have a stupid user name.

JETX

tijerin said:
What is the corporation claiming you did that could get criminal charges files against you?
Some time ago, DTV decided to 'get aggressive' with the pirates who were illegally intercepting the DTV signal by way of pirate cards and devices. In the process, they executed search warrants on the dealers of these 'pirate' devices and go the dealers 'mail-list'. Using the customer information, they then went after those persons who were in possession and use of the pirate devices, programmers, cards, etc. This dweeb is one of them.... who purchased the devices and DTV has sued. They filed lawsuits against more than 9000 of these dweebs!! Presumably, including this one.
http://www.dssevolution.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-110.html
http://www.dssevolution.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1.html

Are the letters (2 per your post) they sent you the only communication you received from them regarding this matter?
Presumably, he was served with notice of the federal lawsuit.

I could be wrong but this sounds similar to the music industry piracy lawsuits with the exception of the fact that the lawsuit hasn't been filed FIRST. (unless I missed that in your post)
Its not. The music issue is NOT supported by specific evidence that the defendant had the hardware needed to support the piracy. DTV does.

tijerin

For the most part, I figured he/she was probably pirating DTV. Was mostly asking rhetorical questions. He/she wants pain and suffering damages from DTV because they filed a lawsuit cause he was stealing their "product". (good summary?)

Candidate for stupid post, I believe. :)

PissedOff@DTV

tijerin said:
For the most part, I figured he/she was probably pirating DTV. Was mostly asking rhetorical questions. He/she wants pain and suffering damages from DTV because they filed a lawsuit cause he was stealing their "product". (good summary?)

Candidate for stupid post, I believe. :)

Before you start insulting people because you don't have the whole story, let me stop you and tell you the whole story.

I recieved 2 letters from DTV. I called them to ask what they were in regards to. They told me it was in regards to a purchase made on a particular date froma a particular site (almost 2 years prior). I told them that I remembered somewhat about the incident and that the product was never shipped. (I let my room mate borrow my bank/debit card to make an online purchase since he didn't have a CC. When I questioned what he purchased he informed me of what it was and from which site. I promptly became enraged and thus logged onto that site and had that order cancelled.)
This site said it would take 5-7 days for me to recieve a credit back in my account. 7 days later the money was there. I figured this matter was over. Almost 2 years later i get these 2 letters.
Anyways, DTV investigators told me that I was basically 'guilty till proven innocent' and that if I didn't bring them any proof that I would have to either pay them $3500 or get sued. I took time off from work and went to my bank and put in an order for copies of my account statements for that time period.
Being that it was almost 2 years old, they informed me it would take 2-4 weeks before I would get them (being they had to search for them by hand in a big warehouse). Durring this time frame I got numerous phonecalls from DTV demanding the proof. I kept telling them that i was waiting on my bank to get it. They told me I was lying and I needed to quit stalling. They told me that I was only making it worse on myself (being that each day I "stalled" they were going to add $500 to their lawsuit and it would be better if I sent them $3500 and get it all over with).
Finally the bank had the statements. I called DTV and informed them and they told me to have the bank fax it to them and they would contact me letting me know what they decided. Now I had to pay the bank for the account research ($20/hour) and for them to fax the info.
1 week went by without any calls from them. I finally called and they said "due to the recent evidence provided, it shows that the order was infact cancelled, thus we have decided to no longer pursue this case. Consider it dropped". I asked them for a certified letter stating this. I eventually recieved a letter via snail-mail saying "we have decided to drop the case we had against you. we do however reserve the right to reopen it in the future at our disgression".
My main complaint is that if they would have done their job and INVESTIGATED like they were supposed to, I would never have been contacted by them, thus never having to have days of work missed and money payed out to my bank. I would not have had to endure the stress and threatening/harassing phone calls that both my wife and I had.

Does this clear it up for you?

JETX

PissedOff@DTV said:
Does this clear it up for you?
No need to 'clear it up'. Those of us familiar with this litigation have heard all of that before... and more.
Like I said, this is a fairly simple problem with an equally simple resolution. If you hadn't been such a craphead on this forum, I would have provided it long ago. Instead, due to YOUR actions, you get nothing.

Oh, and guess what??? You have absolutely NO claim against them. :D

PissedOff@DTV

JETX said:
If you hadn't been such a craphead on this forum, I would have provided it long ago. Instead, due to YOUR actions, you get nothing.

Oh, and guess what??? You have absolutely NO claim against them. :D

Craphead? Just because I spoke out against the way you were rudly answering some people's questions, you call me this? It must be nice to have a law degree and decide to be such an ******* to others that come here for advice. Are you some sort of 'lap-dog' for this site? Just because you are a bit well versed in law doesn't give you the right to insult others because they don't know certain things. That is the reason they come here. I guess it would have been better for me not to say anything, but I hate seeing others get verbally trampled over by jackasses who think they know everything.

(Go ahead, correct any and all of my gramatical errors since we all know you are an English professor also.)

BelizeBreeze

PissedOff@DTV said:
Craphead? Just because I spoke out against the way you were rudly answering some people's questions, you call me this? It must be nice to have a law degree and decide to be such an ******* to others that come here for advice. Are you some sort of 'lap-dog' for this site? Just because you are a bit well versed in law doesn't give you the right to insult others because they don't know certain things. That is the reason they come here. I guess it would have been better for me not to say anything, but I hate seeing others get verbally trampled over by jackasses who think they know everything.

(Go ahead, correct any and all of my gramatical errors since we all know you are an English professor also.)
What a loser! :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">