• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help With a Civil Complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raz49

What is the name of your state?Tennessee

Today, my wife received a summons to appear in civil court in Tennessee. Earlier this year, our neighbor's dog attacked our dog IN OUR YARD. The neightbors dog was hurt. He has now sued us for the cost of his veterinary bill.

On the first day we moved in his dog came all the way across our yard and attacked our dog. Our dog did not retaliate, just watched him go home. Oh, the neighbor's dog brought blood on this attack.

On the day the neighbor's dog was hurt, my wife had let the dog out in our front yard. She heard him yelp and looked out the front window to see the neighbor's dog go running for home. She brought our dog back in the house. He showed no evidence of having been hurt or doing any damage.

A short while later the neighbor called and told her his dog was hurt. He's complained to the city commission (I understand he took an hour at a city commission meeting). The city manager had the animal control people investigate and they met with us and the dogsand felt there was no problem on our end.

Now the guy has filed suit for $750.

What do I do for civil court? (Sorry to be so long winded - I MIGHT be a little fed up with this stuff) Any info would be appreciated.

Raz

rmet4nzkx

Collect your evidence eg the minutes and the reports from animal control etc, showing you were not at fault and the their dog was not under control and on your property. Also that their dog has a history of attacking your dog in the past. You can counter sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">