• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with civil matter.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clr373

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
In 10-2003 my garage was broken into and damage done. I called the police and a report was filed. I later found out that it was my nephew and his friend did it. In a silly attempt to just get my stuff back, I agreed to him returning the items still in his possession and him paying me for the damage he caused. Unfortunately, he has not paid for any of the damage (approx. $8000). The police cannot do anything b/c we entered into an "agreement". I was told that it is now a civil matter.
I am going to sue him. My question is what should I sue on, his not paying me as agreed or base it on the damage he caused? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

S

seniorjudge

clr373 said:
...I am going to sue him. My question is what should I sue on, his not paying me as agreed or base it on the damage he caused? Any suggestions would be appreciated....
You can sue on both. These are called alternative theories of relief. If you win, of course, you will only win on one count.

Before you go to all this time and trouble, does nephew have property (real, personal, mixed) that you can latch onto when you get your judgment?

(By the way, your agreement did not turn this into a civil matter. It's just that the cops lose interest real quick when people make agreements not to prosecute.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">