• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Laches defense !!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ghotz

What is the name of your state? In Virginia
Help!

I have filed a motion to squash the enforcement of an out of state judgement here in VA. About 10 years ago I was involved ina a divorce case in NJ. After the case was concluded, the atty have me a bill that far exceeded what the cost estimate for the case was. I protested to him in a letter and did not hear back from him. i later moved from the state of NJ to Virginia. Now after 10 years the NJ atty has attached a bank account because of a recorerd judgement in NJ 10 years ago. I never knew of the judgement and was not present. I have filed a motion to squash the enforcement due to laches. The opposing lawyer is contending that Laches is not an applicable defense to a judgement. I contend that it is and has been applied as such in child support cases and patent litigation. Can anyone help as I am doing this Pre Se and will be in court this Friday 5/30.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">