• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help please(voicemail question)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pigface

Hi everyone sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasn't 100% sure if this is the appropriate forum or not.

Anyway, A buddy of mine has been ordered to the local court house tommorow(mon, jan 26th) over what's IMHO some of the most petty crap i've ever heard. I wasn't at this particular party but he doesn't have a computer so I am trying to dig up some info for him.

I guess the jist of it is like this.

A buddy of mine and some of our friends were at a new years party, he got upset when the host was making vulgar comments about having sex with his g/f. These two guys also happen to work together. well anyway, I guess sometime last week they were chilling drinking and got a little silly and decided to call and leave messages on his voicemail. Now none of the messages said anything threating or the like however the guy still had his buddy who is a private detective come to his work and threaten his life and called him into the local court house.

Now first off some questions I have are as follows.

1. This is the second time in a month this guy has tried to throw someone in jail. Isn't there any legal action against a guy who has cop friends trying to arrest everyone he doesn't like? I mean the messages were silly & childish sure, but he was threatened of his life from this blowhard private detective and was said he would be slapped with a 10-year felony. Is this possible? I mean are we as a soceity this pathetic nowadays, that all I have to do is have a cop friend arrest anyone I have beef with? I thought 10yrs+ felonies were for real criminals like rapists & murderers? My only guess is he is b.s.'ing and is just trying to scare/intimidate my buddy. If this is a realistic sentences maybe I myself(even though I am no way involved in this chaos other than trying to get some legal answers) need to move to a more relaxed country like Syria or China!

2. I know he is just trying to clear his name and get this b.s. over with, but is there any suit that can be placed upon either the guy or his private detective buddy for basically just trying to arrest anyone that doesn't like him. I find that part just absolutely ludicrous, I have had a few friends throughout the years that were judges, cops, high ranking officers in the military, etc and not once has it ever crossed my mind to use those contacts to screw over peoples lives just because I couldn't handle petty situations on my own. He is also the type of guy brag about how he can get peoplearrested because of his connections. isn't this illegal in any way? I know in Jury Duty I can't know anyone involved, so how can it be perfectly legal to abuse the court system over petty stuff that could have been resolved at their workplace or outside of work. I know he came in off-duty and basically came in like he was SWAT or something.

3. Since this wussy is basically screaming rape(he says he is filing for harrasment), since he made vulgar comments about his g/f can she still file a suit for sexual harrasment against this guy? I know they have multiple witnesses for that incident. I am not sure how long after an incident like that you have to make a case out of it. It happend on new years eve, so just under a month ago.

hopefully someone can help clarify some things for me, I think it's just sabre rattling personally(which is still a waste of tax payers money & worthless junk bogging down our court system. Which in itself should be a crime IMHO). Sorry about some words sticking together on this message my spacebar button is sticking, gotta get a new keyboard today.

Thanks

Last edited:

quincy

You can look up MCLS section 750.411 for information on Michigan's harassment and stalking laws.

Basically, harassment is conduct directed toward a "victim" that includes, but is not limited to, repeated or continuing unconsented contact that would cause a reasonable person to suffer emotional distress (with or without resulting medical treatment or counseling). Stalking is a willful course of conduct involving repeated or continuing harassment that would cause a person to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, threatened, harassed or molested.

Both are misdemeanors with up to a $1000 fine and 1 year in jail. Aggravated stalking is a felony, with a $10,000 fine and 5 years possible.

Both this fellow who received the numerous "silly" voice messages from your drunk friend and his drunk buddies, and your friend who was threatened by the private detective while at work, could each potentially file harassment suits against the other, or look to getting civil protection orders prohibiting any further contact of any kind between either of them.

Yes, these could easily be considered nuisance suits, but your friend, his friends, and the wussy guy all seem to be making nuisances of themselves. If a court order or an harassment action is what it takes for them to grow up, then so be it.

(there would be no point, that I can see, in bringing a sexual harassment suit against the wussy guy over comments he made at the party - unless everyone has just a whole bunch of money to throw around and nothing better to do)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">