• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!! What can I do???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calebsmommy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

WASHINGTON. My sister stole my identity and opened a phone account in my name and using my social security number, she then ran the bill up to approx. $2000 in 4 months before the company shut it off. I tried to buy a car 2 years later, and found out that she had done this. She denied that it was her until recently, but still shows absolutely no remorse. I have since talked to the phone company who reversed the charges, however the damage to my credit is irreversible. Is there anything I can do to recover some off my losses even if it is not monetary? She ruined my life!!! To top it off we just received an approx. $6000 inheritance after our grandmother passed away and she bought a new Plasma TV and a PS3, meanwhile I am trying to get my life back on track and raise my son and take care of a disabled fiance while working 2 jobs. HELP!!!!

JETX

You're not going to want to hear this... but your first step should be to file a CRIMINAL complaint for her actions. Then, you will need to file a CIVIL suit to recover your damages, including defamation (of credit) for her conduct.
It is going to be tough... but you have to help her to learn to be responsible for her actions.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wait, something doesn't make sense...

The phone company acknowledges that these charges were fraudulent (by reversing the charges), but won't remove the negative from your credit report? :confused:

You need to be talking to the phone company some more...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">