• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help at wits end with this guy....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rogderhall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

In February 2014 I went to work as an independent contractor with a guy that was the “boss” but also an independent contractor. We were paid by the owners/landlords of the apartment complex to do apartment cleaning and grounds maintenance. I worked with this guy for 8 days 7 of which he constantly pointed out my mistakes. On the 8th day I saw a mistake like mine and asked who did this part of the wall (there were 3 other people) he said he did it. As he pointed out mine I then made fun of his mistake and at that instant he turned into an *******. I stopped working with him but continued with grounds maintenance and the landlords/owners were my bosses. This guy continued to harass me and I would tell my landlord and he said he would handle it. To this day it’s never been handled and I’m at my wits end with him. I mean to the point of full on “going postal” on him.

It came to a head yesterday when I went to the trash with my collected dog poop and my dog had wrapped around me so I lifted a lid to throw it away. I’ve missed throwing it to the back before and had to move a dumpster to get it so this guy wouldn’t think I was doing that on purpose. Anyway he commented on how he doesn’t want the lids that way and I commented that I didn’t care what he wanted. He began to yell profanities at me and I became scared. Now you have to also understand that in February he was all excited about getting his concealed carry permit and showed me a gun in his ankle holster. He then made the statement that he’s tired of “punks” and couldn’t wait to shoot one now.

This guy has some perceived authority and power to rule over the apartment complex and his behavior and actions go without consequences. I know you’re saying just move, but why should this guy be able to dictate what I do. We’re exemplary tenants and have not caused any problems at all.

rogderhall

Oh, sorry I know a law hasn't be broken or violated I was looking for advice on restraining orders. This guy has continued to harass me after I've stopped working. Or there is no advice and just when I've had enough and snap on him I guess. I don't want to "snap" but it appears there are no other options.

Just Blue

Oh, sorry I know a law hasn't be broken or violated I was looking for advice on restraining orders. This guy has continued to harass me after I've stopped working. Or there is no advice and just when I've had enough and snap on him I guess. I don't want to "snap" but it appears there are no other options.
The other option is to move. Much better than going to jail/prison for "snapping"...Don't you think?

quincy

If you feel threatened by the grounds keeper, you can report him to the police.

If the grounds keeper feels threatened by you, he can also report you to the police.

If you feel like you are about to "snap" or "go postal on him," seek medical help immediately.

And you can continue to complain about his behavior to the landlord/owner, and the landlord/owner can choose to do something about the situation, or not.

But, unless or until a law is violated, there is very little chance you will get a restraining order, although you are welcome to discuss the facts with an attorney in your area who can better tell you if you have any legal options.

In the meantime, I recommend you avoid the man, do not respond or react to him if you happen to come into contact with him, and start looking for a new place to live.

Good luck.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
If you feel he's a danger to you, then you can apply for a restraining order. It's that simple.

But note: There are SEVERAL options that don't involve "snapping". Like walking away. Getting thicker skin. Ignoring it. Growing up. See? Several options.

rogderhall

Thank you for all of your sound advice. Why didn't I think of those suggestions. Have a blessed day and peace be with you.

quincy

Thank you for all of your sound advice. Why didn't I think of those suggestions. Have a blessed day and peace be with you.
They are all rather simple, but good, suggestions. I hope you consider them.

Good luck with the obnoxious grounds keeper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">