• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Contractor Issues -- Basement Build-out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heimdm

State: Indiana.

I hired a company to dig-out a basement to my existing ranch house. Originally, I had them come out to give me a quote on putting in drains for my moist crawlspace. After I got the quote, I asked them for a quote to build-out my basement. They gave me a quote of about 70k. It said for that, they would build-out the basement, waterproof the basement, etc. However, now that we are almost completed they are saying they have overages of about 7000 and want me to pay them the extra. However, on the contract/statement of work it says that the approximately basement square footage would be 2000. However, when I measured it, it came up about 12% short.

Any thoughts on what recourse I have? What I found shows that the amount is above Indiana small-claims court.

Indiana Filer

State: Indiana.

I hired a company to dig-out a basement to my existing ranch house. Originally, I had them come out to give me a quote on putting in drains for my moist crawlspace. After I got the quote, I asked them for a quote to build-out my basement. They gave me a quote of about 70k. It said for that, they would build-out the basement, waterproof the basement, etc. However, now that we are almost completed they are saying they have overages of about 7000 and want me to pay them the extra. However, on the contract/statement of work it says that the approximately basement square footage would be 2000. However, when I measured it, it came up about 12% short.

Any thoughts on what recourse I have? What I found shows that the amount is above Indiana small-claims court.
Hold the contract you signed up to the screen so we can read it, and then we'll tell you our thoughts on the strength of your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">