• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hotel snafu

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ackytrak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My son and his friend were staying in a hotel room in Ohio for their high school state's wrestling tournament. While my son was in the bathroom getting ready to go to dinner, his friend accidentally hit a sprinkler head while tossing a water bottle in the air while waiting for my son to get ready. A flood ensued and damaged many of the rooms. Both were minors at the time and both explained everything that happened to their coach and hotel staff, his friend admitting it was entirely his fault and my son did nothing wrong.

Since he was a minor, though he did NOTHING wrong, can I be held financially responsible for this?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My son and his friend were staying in a hotel room in Ohio for their high school state's wrestling tournament. While my son was in the bathroom getting ready to go to dinner, his friend accidentally hit a sprinkler head while tossing a water bottle in the air while waiting for my son to get ready. A flood ensued and damaged many of the rooms. Both were minors at the time and both explained everything that happened to their coach and hotel staff, his friend admitting it was entirely his fault and my son did nothing wrong.

Since he was a minor, though he did NOTHING wrong, can I be held financially responsible for this?
Since the friend admitted that it was all his fault and that your son did nothing wrong, I do not believe that you could be held financially responsible. His friend's parents however, likely will be.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm just wondering if the OP isn't putting on his/her track shoes before s/he knows if there's a race. Unless someone has attempted to make him/her financially responsible, I'm not seeing an issue. Evidently it is understood by all concerned that the other boy was the problem.

Now, OH has a valid point. IF the OP is the one who signed to be personally responsible for the room, then yes, the hotel can hold him/her responsible. Which does not mean that the OP cannot then turn around and sue the parents of the other boy.

However, unless the OP accepted financial responsibility for the room, I'm still seeing it as a non-issue and wonder what the OP's reasoning is.

OHRoadwarrior

When One signs for a hotel room, they agree to be bound by the agreement to pay damages incurred by guest in the room. The prior post would be applicable if the team payed for all the rooms and come after mom n dad for what they were charged.

ackytrak

Has anyone suggested that you might be?
Yes. He has been named as John Doe, as have I, due to the fact they didn't know the boys names when the case was filed. It's a mess due to the school's insurance company not paying and stating that the school is immune to this. In the suit, they are alleging horse play and it was done on purpose, despite the facts I stated. I have a pretty good idea who told them it was done on purpose, based on a call from the school's insurance company after it happened, and am waiting a call back from their attorney to get access to how they arrived at their version of the events.

Regardless, what I previously stated is exactly what happened, and both the boys and their coach will and have already stated so.

LdiJ

Yes. He has been named as John Doe, as have I, due to the fact they didn't know the boys names when the case was filed. It's a mess due to the school's insurance company not paying and stating that the school is immune to this. In the suit, they are alleging horse play and it was done on purpose, despite the facts I stated. I have a pretty good idea who told them it was done on purpose, based on a call from the school's insurance company after it happened, and am waiting a call back from their attorney to get access to how they arrived at their version of the events.

Regardless, what I previously stated is exactly what happened, and both the boys and their coach will and have already stated so.
I suggest that you contact your homeowner's insurance carrier ASAP. That kind of a suit is often covered.

justalayman

Based on experience. Whomever signed for the room is. A minor was not legally permitted to contract for the room.
Irrelevant. They can be (as long as other state law doesn't preclude it) be held liable for damages they cause. The parent may also be able to be able to be held liable. The signator for the room is definately also on the hook.

I don't believe the code tranquility posted applies as it speaks to willful damage. Unless there is some proof there was intent to damage the sprinkler it was negligent damage.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Who signed financial responsibility for the room? The parents? Both sets, or only one? The school?

ackytrak

Who signed financial responsibility for the room? The parents? Both sets, or only one? The school?
Coach from the school. However, the school's insurance says they are immune from this type of thing.

Regardless, the coach and my son's friend (who caused the damage) both verify and will continue to do so, that my son did nothing. I can't see how I or any insurance I have would have to pay?

justalayman

If your son cannot get excused from the suit then he will have to defend himself in court. Given your statements he should not be found liable.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just because he was named in a suit does not mean that ultimately he will be found responsible.

ackytrak

If your son cannot get excused from the suit then he will have to defend himself in court. Given your statements he should not be found liable.
I expect him to either be dismissed from the suit or found not responsible if we would have to appear. However, my main concern is how they determined what they are saying happened in the court documents they sent me. They are making the boys out to be criminals, when in fact, it was all explained to the hotel seconds/minutes after it happened and I went there that night and verified everything and saw what had happened.

I have a feeling someone from the school's insurance company has misled/stated what happened. Once I find out who is telling the hotel's attorney this nonsense, I will look into suing them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">