• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hotel threw away my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taztat

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Trying to find out if I can sue a hotel ( owned by a company that is out of state ) for throwing away a $140 dental bleaching tray. Company states policy that they are not responsible for lost property. Is that a legally defensible policy?

I'm wanting to send a message to this company that it is not OK to claim no responsibility for negligence, but not willing to spend more money to hire a lawyer.

Any advise ?

matti422

Did they throw it away while you were staying there or after you had checked out? (i.e. you stayed Friday through Monday, and they threw it out Sunday, or threw it out on Tuesday when you realized you left the thing there).

Was there any reason for them to have thought this was valuable? Sticker on it saying "Dental Device, please return to _______"

I don't think you have much of case for anything here, and you would still have to file in small claims court, in the state of the hotel, so it may be cost prohibitive to do so. Weigh all your options - the cheapest is probably to replace the $140 device.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">