• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do i amend general civil complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sparty20

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am the plaintiff in a general civil case against a contractor for an unacceptable concrete job which cost me $5800. The case was originally filed in Small Claims court for the maximum amount allowed ($3000). The defendant hired an attorney and removed the case from small claims to general civil. Now i would like to sue for the full amount of $5800 since the i'm no longer limited by the small claims maximum.

How do i amend the complaint from $3000 to $5800? Can i do this myself? Do i need to send a letter to the court and his attorney and if so what is the format?

badapple40

File a motion with the court for leave to amend your complaint, instanter, putting forth the reasons you just stated. Attach the amended complaint. Attach a proposed entry granting your motion.

There may be additional filing fees involved. Also, like seniorjudge said, I'd suggest getting a lawyer anytime you are dealing with a lawyer.

S

seniorjudge

"The giving or taking of any advise given in this forum does not constitute an attorney-client relationship and any readers of any posts acknowledge that they are not in any type of attorney client relationship with the poster."

Advise is a verb.

Advice is a noun.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">