• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I file a subponea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackleandhyde

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I am needing to subponea a few people in a slander case, that was taken against me. How do I go about this. I have some help from a attorney in Ks, but at this time am having to do this on my own. She helps me probono, but can not come to MO.

You Are Guilty

You'll likely need to draft them yourself, then get them signed by the court clerk, then have them served on whomever it is you are seeking documents from.

Call the clerk of the court (or the pro bono office) of the court where the case is filed and ask the specific procedure!

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I am needing to subponea a few people in a slander case, that was taken against me. How do I go about this. I have some help from a attorney in Ks, but at this time am having to do this on my own. She helps me probono, but can not come to MO.
Go to the clerk of the court where you are being sued and ask for blank subpoena forms.

It will be up to you to fill them out and get them served according to law.

jackleandhyde

Thanks for the reply, I have drafted them on my own and are ready to go. When I file does the court send them to the sherrif automaticly, or do I need to do something to get this done. Thanks

seniorjudge

Thanks for the reply, I have drafted them on my own and are ready to go. When I file does the court send them to the sherrif automaticly, or do I need to do something to get this done. Thanks
Courts don't do anything automatically.

You must give the clerk an instruction letter.

You'll have to pay the service fee for each subpoena, as well as the witness fee. Be sure and ask the clerk how this is done (sometimes you pay the clerk, sometimes you include a check made payable to the sheriff's office, sometimes the witness fee is in cash). Also, leave plenty of time to get this done - it is often hard to get witnesses served.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">