• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I file a written objection to proposed name change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melanie679

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Can someone please tell me how to file a written objection to the proposed name change of a child? It's going to court in Oct in San Diego North County. Can I send a notarized letter of objection to the court and serve a copy to the person petitioning the name change? What is the proper procedure? Thank you

las365

Please describe your relationship to the child and the person filing the petition to change the child's name.

melanie679

I'm the child's stepmother... I'm asking this on behalf of my husband who is currently active duty and away on orders. He is taking leave to fly to San Diego to object but he must first "file a written objection" He has not abandoned his son, he has never been late on child support, all of his attempts to see his son (the last 3 years) have been denied by the child's mother (we have proof), he sends lots of gifts, cards and pictures in the mail and calls him often (and we can prove this also) His son is 6 years old and his mother is newly married and wants to give him his stepfather's last name. My husband and his son's mother have never been married.
Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">