• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to have a family member committed due to mental health/suicidal ideation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiffanyPrado

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My mother has been actively planning out her suicide when she returns from a trip overseas. My sister and I are both licensed mental health professionals and have all the documentation she has sent regarding her plan. We have tried to avoid this step for years but it's at the point that we can no longer stop her from herself. We need some advice on how to proceed with this process. We know that calling the police is only 50/50 because if she isn't actively suicidal they may not do anything, but she needs to be placed in a hospital immediately upon her return and then placed in long term care. Please help!

Proserpina

My mother has been actively planning out her suicide when she returns from a trip overseas. My sister and I are both licensed mental health professionals and have all the documentation she has sent regarding her plan. We have tried to avoid this step for years but it's at the point that we can no longer stop her from herself. We need some advice on how to proceed with this process. We know that calling the police is only 50/50 because if she isn't actively suicidal they may not do anything, but she needs to be placed in a hospital immediately upon her return and then placed in long term care. Please help!
Has she actually been diagnosed as having any psych disorder?

Just Blue

One would think as a LMHP you and Sister would know how to proceed.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As professionals, you are also mandated reporters. Why didn't you call the police and report your mother as a harm to herself? Why also didn't you call Adult Protective Services and report this? You and your sister should lose your licenses for not doing the proper REQUIRED thing.

Silverplum

I did it, and with no planning or help. It's not much different from taking your relative to the ER for what turns out to be a burst appendix. Pain is pain, and often requires professional help to heal.

TiffanyPrado

Yes

Has she actually been diagnosed as having any psych disorder?
Borderline Personality Disorder.

To the other people who commented regarding our licensures and that what we should do..... I don't live in that state and each is different. If YOU were a licensed therapist then you would know that if someone denies immediate threat, the police cannot take them in.

Thanks for the amazingly useless advice.

To those of you who have actual advice, please do write it out.

Just Blue

To the other people who commented regarding our licensures and that what we should do..... I don't live in that state and each is different. If YOU were a licensed therapist then you would know that if someone denies immediate threat, the police cannot take them in.

As a non medical professional... I DO know how to deal. Sorry your licensure has not given you that ability. All my best to you and your Mother. :)

eerelations

Snippy diva behaviour will get you nowhere on this site. If you and your sis both act like this, I can see why your Mum's depressed.

TiffanyPrado

I would appreciate some useful advice and not threats. Her diagnosis in no way reflects outside contributors, it's a personality disorder.

To those of you who have had similar experiences, can you please give me details of the process?

eerelations

I would appreciate some useful advice and not threats. Her diagnosis in no way reflects outside contributors, it's a personality disorder.

To those of you who have had similar experiences, can you please give me details of the process?
I rest my case.

Proserpina

Please feel free to contact the attorney of your choice.

You're welcome.

Just Blue

www.missouri.diva/payyourself.whatever

Silverplum

Oh, so you want to, like, phone in a 72-hour hold on your suicidal mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">