• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long before 'Failure to Prosecute' can be claimed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MobileTech

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I and my employer are being sued in Alabama for (a false claim of) misappropriation of trade secrets. We have responded to the complaint, produced all requested materials, and filed a counterclaim.

Six months have elapsed since we turned over the materials, and in that time the plaintiff has not even so much as requested to review the materials we provided. Our lawyer has advised us to bide our time in this situation, since the longer the period of inactivity, the plaintiff's claim that he has suffered "irreparable harm" that needs to be remedied grows correspondingly weaker. So we have not reviewed the plaintiff's responses to our production requests either, because we don't want to spark him back into action.

I am aware that a lawsuit can be dismissed for "failure to prosecute" once a sufficiently long period of inaction has transpired. Some jurisdictions, such as Florida and the Eastern District of Louisiana, specify a fixed interval of time (6 months) before such a motion can be entered. Alabama does not appear to identify a specific time interval.

My question then is how long one must one typically wait in Alabama before filing such a motion? And what might be involved in "making it stick" when the plaintiff objects to a dismissal. (This is a very simple case, with a small amount of material at issue, and so there is no plausible reason that it would take months to prepare to move on to the next phase, especially in light of the plaintiff not yet even reviewing the material we provided.)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I and my employer are being sued in Alabama for (a false claim of) misappropriation of trade secrets. We have responded to the complaint, produced all requested materials, and filed a counterclaim.

Six months have elapsed since we turned over the materials, and in that time the plaintiff has not even so much as requested to review the materials we provided. Our lawyer has advised us to bide our time in this situation, since the longer the period of inactivity, the plaintiff's claim that he has suffered "irreparable harm" that needs to be remedied grows correspondingly weaker. So we have not reviewed the plaintiff's responses to our production requests either, because we don't want to spark him back into action.

I am aware that a lawsuit can be dismissed for "failure to prosecute" once a sufficiently long period of inaction has transpired. Some jurisdictions, such as Florida and the Eastern District of Louisiana, specify a fixed interval of time (6 months) before such a motion can be entered. Alabama does not appear to identify a specific time interval.

My question then is how long one must one typically wait in Alabama before filing such a motion? And what might be involved in "making it stick" when the plaintiff objects to a dismissal. (This is a very simple case, with a small amount of material at issue, and so there is no plausible reason that it would take months to prepare to move on to the next phase.)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What does your attorney have to say when asked these questions? It would be irresponsible for us to step on your attorney's toes.

MobileTech

What does your attorney have to say when asked these questions? It would be irresponsible for us to step on your attorney's toes.
Because it will cost me a hundred bucks to ask him (well worth it, I would add), I'm just looking to get an idea of roughly what to expect so that I can see to it that that money is used most efficiently.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Because it will cost me a hundred bucks to ask him (well worth it, I would add), I'm just looking to get an idea of roughly what to expect so that I can see to it that that money is used most efficiently.
Spend the $100

MobileTech

Given that the plaintiff finally starting moving on the suit again, just two days shy of it being six months since his last action, I think one can reasonably infer that though it may not be specified in the AL code, six months is the de facto interval within which a plaintiff must act in order to avoid a Failure to Prosecute dismissal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">