• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I feel i have been treated wrongly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keiwie

Arizona
I went to court today to take care of 2 tickets that i had gotten while driving SOMEONE ELSE'S car. I had not known that the car had no insurance, and expired registration. I went to court and the judge simply told me i had to pay the fine in full. So now im paying a fine, because someone else decided not to inform me about their car not being registered. I even asked the judge if i could state my case, she told me that even if i did, i'd still have to pay the fine in full. Now i dont have $2000 just sitting around, nor can i make that in a couple days, so i went to the local DMV, and waited an hour to be told that i cant get a restricted license to drive to work to make money to pay off the stupid fines, because of the tickets. So nowwwww i have to pay off the fines before i am able to drive ANYWHERE, and in order to pay them off, i have to work. i cant work without being able to drive. Anyways, i feel i have been seriously mistreated by the court system, especially because the judge wouldnt even hear my case.
thank you for any help, have a great day.

Proserpina

Arizona
I went to court today to take care of 2 tickets that i had gotten while driving SOMEONE ELSE'S car. I had not known that the car had no insurance, and expired registration. I went to court and the judge simply told me i had to pay the fine in full. So now im paying a fine, because someone else decided not to inform me about their car not being registered. I even asked the judge if i could state my case, she told me that even if i did, i'd still have to pay the fine in full. Now i dont have $2000 just sitting around, nor can i make that in a couple days, so i went to the local DMV, and waited an hour to be told that i cant get a restricted license to drive to work to make money to pay off the stupid fines, because of the tickets. So nowwwww i have to pay off the fines before i am able to drive ANYWHERE, and in order to pay them off, i have to work. i cant work without being able to drive. Anyways, i feel i have been seriously mistreated by the court system, especially because the judge wouldnt even hear my case.

Here's the thing - it was likely up to you, as the operator of the vehicle, to provide proof of registration and insurance when you were (presumably) pulled over.

I know it might seem unfair, but the court did nothing wrong here.

A driver is responsible for making sure that the vehicle he operates is registered and insured. If the car is not registered and insured, or if you don't know if it's registered and insured, then don't drive it.

sandyclaus

Arizona
Poor you, but it was your responsibility to ensure that the vehicle you were driving was insured and registered. It doesn't matter that it's YOUR car or someone else's. You can see now why that would have been important to do if you were driving another person's car. And it would have been so easy to ask them, "Hey, where's your insurance and registration documents for the car you let me borrow? You know, just in case I get pulled over or something?"

The court didn't mistreat you. They enforced the law. If you don't like the law, write to your congressman, or state representatives, and tell them you want it changed. Of course, that isn't going to change the fact that you earned $2k to pay your fines and can't drive until you pay that off.

OHRoadwarrior

You must be one of those people that always has burned out brake lights, taillights and headlights. The law requires you check all those things before driving a vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">