• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Just Discovered A Hidden Camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoCAL310

What is the name of your state (California)?

I'v been sleeping on the couch for a couple of months. Two days ago I spotted a camera hidden in his bookshelf and pointed at the couch I've been sleeping on. I confronted my friend about the hidden camera and he claimed it was over 1yr old and that it did not work. I found his receipt that shows he purchased the drop cam 2 1/2 weeks ago. I also tested the camera and it works just fine. Streams live video on my iPhone. I also spoke with drop cam and they said if the cam is removed from his account (which it was, otherwise I would not have been able to set it up on my computer) then all the video gets removed. So I have no proof he recorded anything.

The police said he did nothing criminally wrong since it is his apartment. However this would be a civil matter. My driver's license has his address on it, so I am technically a resident.

Also, the camera records audio and video.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Culver City, CA

quincy

What is the name of your state (California)?

I'v been sleeping on the couch for a couple of months. Two days ago I spotted a camera hidden in his bookshelf and pointed at the couch I've been sleeping on. I confronted my friend about the hidden camera and he claimed it was over 1yr old and that it did not work. I found his receipt that shows he purchased the drop cam 2 1/2 weeks ago. I also tested the camera and it works just fine. Streams live video on my iPhone. I also spoke with drop cam and they said if the cam is removed from his account (which it was, otherwise I would not have been able to set it up on my computer) then all the video gets removed. So I have no proof he recorded anything.

The police said he did nothing criminally wrong since it is his apartment. However this would be a civil matter. My driver's license has his address on it, so I am technically a resident.

Also, the camera records audio and video.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Culver City, CA
I agree with the police. Your friend is allowed to video and audio tape the areas of his apartment that are considered "common" or non-private areas.

What do you think the videos show? Are you thinking your privacy was invaded?

CdwJava

Since your "friend" seems to like to spy on you, and you are snooping through his stuff sufficiently thoroughly to find a receipt from a couple of weeks earlier, it seems the two of you might want to part company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">