• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice fast

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmullins

The company I was working for relocated me to from PA to ME back in April, then a month later terminated my employment leaving me in an extememly high cost of living state that I know nothing about without any resources.
Last week I received papers from the district court in PA where I was originally living stating that my employer was suing me for the balance on my corporate credit card that had not been resolved.
I am still at this point unemployed, only surviving in this area on my savings and with the help of my girlfriend and roommate. If my past employer succeeds in suing me I will be left with no finances at all and no immediate prospects for employment.

I only have until the 2nd of January to contact the courts to let them know if I'll be entering a defense / counter suit or not. If I dont set something up by then my past employer will receive a default verdict.

I need to know if there is some way I can turn the law suit around into something like a hardship case on my behalf since they sent me out here and then immediately terminated my employment leaving me high and dry.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Rexlan

Courts deal in facts, not your personal circumstances. Unless you can prove a breach on their part it sounds like you abused their CC and owe the debt. Additionally, you may be getting set up for a criminal complaint if you have used their card for personal consumption. Your predicament is your own making and you should exhaust all means to clear it up.

You could have left PA at any time, moving to the desert, Florida or Mexico. Your location today is one of choice and not their fault. The court is not involved in your personal choices ... and they do have consequences.

mmullins

The usage on the CC was never personal and always within the company guidelines. The debt is owed on a car rental for an out of state trip. After the trip they went into dispute with the rental company about the price and after I was terminated they stopped the dispute and are taking me to court for the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">