• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some advise!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wolfgang1055

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section or not. But I trust that one of the Mods will put in the right section if it's not!

Here goes, I am a truck driver(or at least I was) and I took a job with one of the biggest companies in the industry. From day one I was lied to on a daily basis(not what I'm hear for) but I expected that since my dad has been a truck driver for over 50 years and told me what to expect and how to solve most of the issues, but my dad never worked for this company...lol
So anyways when something came up I took my dads advise and stood my ground and apparently this is where I went wrong as I don't believe they like their drivers having a voice!

OK, after three months of having to fight the company for everything they promised I guess they had enough of me and decided to destroy me(literally)
On a Friday I decided to leave my truck at the company garage to have work done on it. When I came back on Monday I got into my truck and right away I noticed that there was a red bag of beef jerky and a Styrofoam plate.
I noticed this because I don't eat jerky of any kind and I've never used a Styrofoam plate... I just figured that one of the mechanics left in there... No biggie!

Shortly after I got in my truck I was asked to come to the Terminal Managers office... When I got there he(the terminal manger) and another gentlemen who I had never met showed me pictures of the inside of my truck, their justification for going in to take the pictures was a mechanic complaining that it was messy, which is 100% true, it was a Friday and I was cleaning it out when I went to use the restroom. When I came back less then 5 min. later they had already pulled it into the shop!

So anyways I was looking at these pictures and the first thing that drew my attention was that bright red bag of jerky and the Styrofoam plate next to it. Then he clicked to the next picture and right next to the jerky and plate was beer bottles(my heart left by body) I immediately declared that those weren't mine, he tried telling me that he knew they weren't mine and then he tried telling me that they were from another persons truck to which I replied then why are the same bag of jerky, Styrofoam plate and my elliptical machine in the picture( I had a elliptical machine in my truck to work out on). He said "it's not a big deal and I know that it's not your beer" and told me he had other things to so I needed to leave!

After catching my breath and waiting for the light headiness to leave me I immediately called my dad as I was in a panic and had know idea what to do. The first thing he told me was to not quit because they would put alcohol on my DAC report( a DAC report is kind of like fingerprints for truck drivers, they list all your employers, tickets and anything else you do bad, and other employers use them to determine if they will hire you) if in fact they put it on my Dac then I would never get hired my any company ever again... Ever!

My dad had me call the DOT to see what they suggest. The gentlemen I talked to told me that the only way they can put such a violation is on my DAC is if I test positive to a Alcohol test.

I immediately called their headquarters and demanded a Alcohol test, to which they informed me that "test's were only given on a random basis so a driver can not request one".

I let it go for the time being as I had a load to deliver in Canada and I was already running late!

After I delivered my load I sent a message via the Qualcomm(computer that allows truck drivers to stay in constant contact with the company) I waited for 6 hours with no reply( this never happened before) and I had come to the point that if I hadn't have left I would've had to spend the night in Canada... So I headed back! While I was crossing the bridge into Michigan I finally received a message "to see my driver manager".
When I got back I was told that I was called in for a "random" (random, yeah right!) and they made a special point of telling me that "all your Dm's drivers were called in". So of course I jumped at the chance to prove that I had no alcohol in my system( I knew it for a fact cause I don't drink).

So, I took the test(three actually) and during the test she let slip that " I was the only one of my DM's drivers to get a Alcohol test, all the other guys got drug tests" ( I was given only the Alcohol test). Finally after 15 mins. and the third test she declared "this is pointless, you have no Alcohol in your system)!

After a lot of soul searching and listing to the other drivers tell me that I'm not the first guy they pulled this on I decided that life was to short and if I stayed with the company it would only get worse and given the fact that this could have ruined my career I decided that was the worse I wanted to see, so I quit!

That will be two years in July and I have not had a job since... I have finally accepted that this incident with this company has really screwed me up and I am terrified that it will happen again with another company as most of these companies are the same and the lack of regulation in the industry is disgusting!
I just can't seem to shake it, I've gained around sixty pounds my Blood pressure has risen and my anxiety is through the roof!

So, it's come to this question... What are my options?
I have all my logs verifying the test, I have a copy of the test results proving that I had no alcohol in my system!
I have all the company rules and regulations proving that they were lying and trying to cheat me out of money( which is why This whole episode started) the terminal manger refused to give me copies of the pictures, so I don't have them!

I don't know what to do I love driving and it's truly the only thing I've ever wanted to do... I am just afraid they've ruined it for me! and at this point I would be happy with a simple apology!

Thank you for reading my rant and any advise would be helpful and appreciated!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">