• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I secretly recorded a conversation with the boss…

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

I secretly recorded a conversation with the boss. This is legal because I am the victim of extortion, and my boss is the perpetrator. What kind of obstacles can I expect to run into when I try to submit the recording as evidence in a civil case? Does the State need to bring criminal charges against, and prosecute, my boss first?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Greg Loomis said:
What is the name of your state? California

I secretly recorded a conversation with the boss. This is legal because I am the victim of extortion, and my boss is the perpetrator. What kind of obstacles can I expect to run into when I try to submit the recording as evidence in a civil case? Does the State need to bring criminal charges against, and prosecute, my boss first?

My response:

A secret recording may constitute an intrusion on privacy even if the matters recorded are not confidential: "(A) person may reasonably expect privacy against the electronic recording of a communication, even though he or she had no reasonable expectation as to confidentiality of the communication's contents." [Sanders v. American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. (1999) 20 Cal.4th 907, 915, 85 Cal.Rptr.2d 909, 914]

The attorney's duty to uphold the law (Ca Bus & Prof § 6068(a)) clearly bars the attorney from directing or encouraging the client or any third person to obtain evidence in an illegal manner (e.g., illegal tape recordings). But there appears to be no bar to an attorney's use of records or information obtained in this manner without the attorney's involvement. [See Evens v. Sup.Ct. (Los Angeles Unified School Dist.) (1999) 77 Cal.App.4th 320, 325, 91 Cal.Rptr.2d 497, 499--California's privacy laws and statute prohibiting unauthorized recording of classroom teachers do not prevent use of such recordings in teacher disciplinary proceedings]

An employee facing discharge or discipline occasionally may remove from the employer's premises (or come to possess by other means) documentary evidence that the employee deems relevant to his or her discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination or other employment-based claim.

But it is unclear whether there is any bar to an attorney's use of evidence obtained illegally without the attorney's involvement. [See Evens v. Sup.Ct. (Los Angeles Unified School Dist.) (1999) 77 Cal.App.4th 320, 325, 91 Cal.Rptr.2d 497, 499--California privacy laws and statute prohibiting unauthorized recording of classroom teachers did not prevent use of such recordings in teacher disciplinary proceedings]

IAAL

More: secretly recorded

IAAL,

Thanks for your quick response. I’ll try to research you citations (if I can fine them on the web). Are you familiar with “OPINION of BILL LOCKYER, Attorney General; ANTHONY M. SUMMERS, Deputy Attorney General, No. 99-403?”

Please take a look. Do you agree that that might help me?

FYI, I opened a thread to challenge my assertion of extortion a couple of days ago over on the EMPLOYMENT AND LABOR LAW > HIRING AND FIRING forum, but no one bit. You’re welcome to poke it with a stick.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: More: secretly recorded

Greg Loomis said:
IAAL,

Thanks for your quick response. I’ll try to research you citations (if I can fine them on the web). Are you familiar with “OPINION of BILL LOCKYER, Attorney General; ANTHONY M. SUMMERS, Deputy Attorney General, No. 99-403?”

Please take a look. Do you agree that that might help me?

FYI, I opened a thread to challenge my assertion of extortion a couple of days ago over on the EMPLOYMENT AND LABOR LAW > HIRING AND FIRING forum, but no one bit. You’re welcome to poke it with a stick.

My response:

I looked at the "Opinion" and it is analogous to what I wrote to you - - the difference being is that the "Opinion" deals with "telephonic recordings". My response to you deals with "in-person" recordings, as your initial post discusses.

However, the basic tenets of law are the same; i.e., "expectation of privacy", and the "Privacy Act."

Good luck to you.

IAAL

no expectation of privacy ???

IAAL (and everyone else),

CA Penal Code section 633.5 appears to offer immunity and precedence over any claims of expectation of privacy.

FYI: This was a regular meeting that began in a regular office, with myself, and two of the company owners. The conversation escaladed and they threw me out of the office and into a common work area where other employees could hear us (and this can be heard on the recording). Didn’t this waive their rights to any expectation of privacy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">