• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was served and i need to find the proper procedures so i don't have to appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jennm

What is the name of your state? Maine
A former employer wants me to testify on a workers comp complaint against another former employee. I was the office manager at the time and a witness to the empoyees termination. I do not feel the company was ethical in other matters, (which was why I left)though I do agree with them on this one. I just started a new job and I am having transportation problems. They sent me a $19 check for mileage with the supoena. The manager of that company said he would pick me up and drive me himself if my car was in the shop. I am NOT comfortable with this. What can I do legally so i don't have to appear? :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jennm said:
What is the name of your state? Maine
A former employer wants me to testify on a workers comp complaint against another former employee. I was the office manager at the time and a witness to the empoyees termination. I do not feel the company was ethical in other matters, (which was why I left)though I do agree with them on this one. I just started a new job and I am having transportation problems. They sent me a $19 check for mileage with the supoena. The manager of that company said he would pick me up and drive me himself if my car was in the shop. I am NOT comfortable with this. What can I do legally so i don't have to appear? :confused:

My response:

Nothing. You have a formal "invitation" to appear for testimony. If you fail to attend you can be held in contempt of court; that is, unless you can prove you were in the hospital with four broken limbs, you'll be testifying.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">